Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 29th, 2015 02:00

Unable to establish RDP connection

Unable to establish RDP connection

Running Terminal Services on multiple virtual Win Server 2008 (32-bit) App Servers. Initial call for a TS/RDP session goes into a load balancer and is reassigned to a specific app server. RDP works well for our users on PCs (a few hundred of them) and our few users on iOS and OSX (iPads and Macs.) Trying to find a way for our Android (4.x) tablet users to work in that environment.

Currently testing the free version of PocketCloud on a Toshiba Excite with 'Droid 4.1.1. Set-up for the connection is manual. Read (and tried) all I can find in the knowledgebase, but nothing helps - still getting the "Could not connect to server" error.

I do have "Console Mode" turned on, although the issue did not change when I turned that setting on.

I am also using the Domain Name option, although it also made no difference when I used it.

By-passing the load balancer also does not work (we can, and do for specific reasons, RDP directly into any of the individual App Servers) - I get the same error message.

Any help and/or advice would be happily welcomed! Questions answered where I can, too!

Thanks,
David

PS: Started this with direct query to Wyse Support, and was told that the devices need to be on the same network. Wondering if anybody has a way past this?

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 22:00

Unfortunately, the load balancer and all the App Servers are internal-only, with no direct exposure to the outside world. In order to get you connected, we'd have to go through corporate security, set you up as a vendor and set up VPN access.

Yes, the App Servers are Win 2008 R2 servers, running Microsoft's Terminal Services. They are not, if this makes a difference, actual physical machines - they are all VMs under VMWare. They are never allowed to "go to sleep", "hibernate", or otherwise "hide from the world" - our environment is in use 24/7 (which makes "Maintenance Windows" fun, too.....)

Reflecting on something that was said originally.....

Am I understanding correctly that both the tablet I am using and the App Serviers need to be on the same logical network? If that is true, there's not much chance of this working, as our environment is "stretched across" four different states - currently, I'm in FL trying to connect to servers in IA..... If we're just talking about routed networks, we're OK - we use RDP from end to end on a nearly constant basis.

Another (related) question.....

Does the paid version of the app have any advantages over the free version in circumstances like these?

Thanks,
David

1.3K Posts

Would you be able to provide us with a test account to your environment? That way one of our engineers can take a look and see if they can see where the problem may be. Please let me know if you can. If it is possible, please send the server/login information to me in a private message.

The server you are trying to connect to via RDP is a Windows machine correct?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

1.3K Posts

David, the free version of the application does not support terminal service. You will need to purchase the Pro version to be able to use this. Also, does your server use or require a RD Gateway? This feature is also available only for the Pro version. Please let me know.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

No Events found!