Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2015 06:00

VMware View connection item REQUIRES you to save your password?

VMware View connection item REQUIRES you to save your password?

We're evaluating whether PocketCloud is an acceptable client for remote access to our VMware View 4.6 infrasrtucture, and I am thinking, mostly for one reason, that it is not. Maybe somebody can point me in the direction of what I am missing.

Coming from the IT side, I have exactly zero interest in users saving their passwords inside profiles on their devices. At that point, all that is standing between us and a security breach (unless we do 2-factor) is the lock PIN on the device itself. That's a shaky thing to rely on.

I am finding that if I don't specify my password in the View connection profile in PocketCloud, I get an error that "Connection data is missing", and I have to edit the profile, save my password in it, and then connect again. Then, of course, it is still in there until I re-edit the profile and remove it. I don't see users doing that reliably.

Anyway, although it is less flexible, the tech preview of VMware's View app for Android has one thing going for it - it doesn't even offer to save your password anywhere. In a business environment, that's a real plus.

Is there anything that I can change to make it refuse to save passwords, and to prompt every time instead?

Thanks

500 Posts

August 4th, 2015 22:00

Hi Sgravel,

Thank you for reporting this issue.
This bug should be fixed in next release.

Best Regards

34 Posts

Thanks Lana.

When you say "fixed", do you mean that if a password is not present in the profile, the client will prompt the user upon connection, but that the capability to store a password in the profile for a View connection will still be present? I recognize that we're only one of many competing viewpoints you need to consider, but for us that would still be a huge negative. Ideally, given that View is predominately, if not exclusively a business oriented solution, it would be great if the password field was omitted from the View connection profile alltogether. I cannot think of another IT person who would want that information to be stored on a mobile device.

Thanks again!

500 Posts

Sgravel,

I will forward your suggestion to our product team for review.
Thanks a lot for using PocketCloud.

Regards

No Events found!