Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 30th, 2015 06:00

Can't run PocketCloud companion > 1 machine and have all machines show up

Can't run PocketCloud companion > 1 machine and have all machines show up

I run test after test, but it seems like I can't run the pocketcloud companion software using my Gmail login credentials in more than one location. If I try to run it in more than one place, neither of them show up after reboots. It all looks fine and dandy though in the Windows Pocketcloud companion client application. I can go to the Auto Discovery configuration on both of them, and the sign out button is highlighted as if it actually was able to login successfully. If I sign out and then log back in, the machine will show up. Either one. But this is hardly a solution. My machines have to be able to be started from a cold boot, remotely even and be able to be logged in.

What the problem is, I have no idea. It's extremely frustrating though, especially after dropping 15 bucks on the application on my iPhone.

23 Posts

They are dim. They cannot be connected to.

544 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Cogent View Post
Initially it always says Off, but then it switches to On. It always does that, and I'm sure that's by design.

And when it is set to On do your two computers appear on the list? Are they lit up or dim?

544 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Cogent View Post

Could me running VPN software on my local machine (one of which has the companion installed on it) be the cause of any of the problems? I end up with an additional IP assigned to my NIC I believe when this is running.

That's very possible. It could be blocking the port that the Companion Application uses to communicate on. You might want to try turning off the VPN and see if the connections light up.

23 Posts

At the moment, I have two Windows machines with PocketCloud Companion installed. Both don't show up right now after rebooting them both.

The versions of Windows I am running are Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Professional.

544 Posts

Ok. That means there is a problem with the Companion on your computers. Please try signing out of the Companion and signing back in. If that doesn't work then reboot the computers.

544 Posts

Open the app on your iPhone. Does it say Discovered Connections [On] or [Off]?

23 Posts

Initially it always says Off, but then it switches to On. It always does that, and I'm sure that's by design.

23 Posts

Could me running VPN software on my local machine (one of which has the companion installed on it) be the cause of any of the problems? I end up with an additional IP assigned to my NIC I believe when this is running.

544 Posts

So you have two Windows machines both with the PocketCloud Companion installed, however only one is lit up at any given time on your iPhone? What versions of Windows are you running?

23 Posts

July 30th, 2015 07:00

No dice.

Like I said, if I sign out and sign back in - it works. If I have both machines with it enabled and I reboot them, neither come up. It's as if something is mucked up server side somehow and it's not allowing me to run more than one instance of the companion.

23 Posts

I just booted the service and logged in. It shows up. Just booted my work PC and the service is running on that box, but no dice - doesn't show up online. It's grayed out on my iPhone. But it shows that I can sign out - as if it signed in successfully.

23 Posts

I just tried signing in on my local machine (which isn't showing up) and it told me the service wasn't even running. It's set to auto run and I never stopped it. I'm wondering if the service is blowing up? Are there logs I can check? I'm not an average user, I write software for a living. Are there not any diagnostics I can look at?

544 Posts

August 1st, 2015 03:00

Are you running version 2.1.5 of the Companion? I forwarded this thread to the Lead Developer for the Companion. Hopefully he can help you further.

23 Posts

August 4th, 2015 06:00

It seems like no matter what, a reboot never helps. I always have to sign out and then sign back in to get the machine to show up. Doing so hoses the other connection when I do it as well.

23 Posts

August 4th, 2015 06:00

Yes, I am running 2.1.5

I just signed out and signed back in on my work PC.

Exactly at that moment, on my iPhone, the Home PC grayed out and the work PC went active.

Could there be a bug possibly server side and not client side? Obviously this companion talks to some server you guys have running there.

No Events found!