July 30th, 2015 02:00

RDP to port 3389 Failed

RDP to port 3389 Failed

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate, at my home
iPad running iOS 4.2.1
App Version 2.1.100
Attempting Auto Discovery
Both devices are on the same network; the desktop is wired and the iPad is wireless (using Apple's Airport Extreme router)

I am completely new to the practice of connecting to my desktop remotely. As such, I think I'm missing some key step that is assumed in the documentation to be understood. I looked through the FAQ and troubleshooting but the information there seemed very vague.

I have...
-Installed PocketCloud on my iPad, and its companion program on my computer.
-Successfully signed in to my Google account on both devices
-Verified that PocketCloud is allowed through my firewall (in the Firewall window within Control Panel I see WyseBrowser and PocketCloudService with full permissions)

However, my desktop computer does not show up during auto-detection. When I test connectivity through the desktop Auto Discovery program on my desktop, it gives me the messages: "RDP to port 3389 failed." and "VNC to port failed."

I attempted to input the desktop's information manually into the app instead of using Auto Discovery, but I don't really know what I'm doing on that front and was unsuccessful.

Any help would be much appreciated.

544 Posts

July 30th, 2015 02:00

We should be able to get Auto Discovery working.

1) Right click on the tray icon and select "Diagnostics".
2) Proceed through the steps.
3) Once that is done, right click on the tray icon again and select "Auto Discovery Settings".
4) Ensure that the "Signout" button is lit up and the "Login" button is not.
5) Re-launch the app on your iPad.

That process should turn on RDP for you. Let me know if it works.

July 31st, 2015 23:00

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You will need to manually enable Remote Desktop in System Properties. What version of Windows are you running?

Hi
I am running XP Pro.
I have already allowed Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop in System properties but to no avail.
Any other help?

Thanks
Alan

544 Posts

You need to set a password before you can login using PocketCloud:
1) Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools.
2) Open "Computer Management".
3) Click on "Local Users and Groups".
4) Click on "Users".
5) Right click on your account name and select "Set Password".

Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by alanbarnfather View Post

Hi
I am running XP Pro.
I have already allowed Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop in System properties but to no avail.
Any other help?

Thanks
Alan
Just thought I would let you know i solved the issue.
I downloaded a freeware port forwarding application and it worked perfectly.
Have to say once you get the issues sorted this is a *** cool app!
Thanks
Alan

Please help!

I have the same problem.
No issue logging in on IPAD and PC with Gmail account but no PC visible on IPAD.
Diagnostic shows no issues, but when I run the test on Auto Discovery it comes back that port 3389 failed and VNC to port failed.

I am working on a PC on a business domain that is firewalled by an exoserver.
Can any help me out here?

I have acces to the exoserver firewall but to create external access through the firewall I need to add an external IP address and netmask.

Help much appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

544 Posts

You will need to manually enable Remote Desktop in System Properties. What version of Windows are you running?

Thanks for your response! The diagnostic showed my firewall as blocking access to the relevant port, so I created new inbound and outbound rules within my firewall. The port is now open and auto-detection works, but I can't actually log in. The app tells me "login failure: user account restriction."

Secondly, do you have any suggestions for creating a more secure rule to govern access to port 3389? I tried to "allow the connection if it is secure" but did not understand the other information the rule then asks for. I also thought to allow it only for the PocketCloud program, but I'm not sure which one to select (PocketCloudService.exe or WyseBrowser.exe or both).

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 07:00

I have a similar problem. I'm running Vista Home Basic. I've setup port forwarding on my router with the ranges 3389~5900 but when I try connecting from my iPad, I get the message "PocketCloud Pro Could Not Connect to Server". I've run the diagnostics tool and that says that VNC/RDP, firewall and login configurations are ok. On the Auto Discovery Tool however, the test shows RDP port 3389 as failed.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2015 10:00

Quote Originally Posted by mickswann View Post
already set up that, but still no access!

unbelievable!!! it has suddenly started working, im typing from my ipad right now. hopefully the problem is now solved, thanks for your help.

Mick

544 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mickswann View Post
I've added the mac address (mac address filtering) for the ipad to my wireless router{(D-Link DIR 615) I'm assuming this means they are on the same network?). 

I've set up the 'advanced port forwarding' to include the ipads ip address with the private and public ports both set to 5900 and the traffic type set to "any". Autodiscovery is set on my PC and when tested gives the message "VNC to port 5900 is successful" and "RDP to port 3389 failed". 

The ipad has "discovered" the connection to my PC, showing the PC's name under "Discovered Connections" but when I press this it spends a few seconds "Loading" and then comes up with the "Could not connect to server" message.

I don't use the windows firewall so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas?

1) Right click on the TightVNC tray icon and select "Configuration".
2) Click on the "Access Control" tab.
3) Under "Loopback Connections" ensure that "Allow loopback connections" is checked.

4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You won't be using port 3389 for Vista Home Basic, only 5900. Are both the computer and iPad on the same network?

-Chris
Wyse Technology

I've added the mac address (mac address filtering) for the ipad to my wireless router{(D-Link DIR 615) I'm assuming this means they are on the same network?). 

I've set up the 'advanced port forwarding' to include the ipads ip address with the private and public ports both set to 5900 and the traffic type set to "any". Autodiscovery is set on my PC and when tested gives the message "VNC to port 5900 is successful" and "RDP to port 3389 failed". 

The ipad has "discovered" the connection to my PC, showing the PC's name under "Discovered Connections" but when I press this it spends a few seconds "Loading" and then comes up with the "Could not connect to server" message.

I don't use the windows firewall so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas?

4 Posts

already set up that, but still no access!

544 Posts

You won't be using port 3389 for Vista Home Basic, only 5900. Are both the computer and iPad on the same network?

-Chris
Wyse Technology

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 03:00

Hello, I have no time to read the whole thing as i'm lazy but i think this is the same topic. I'm using the iPad Pocketcloud app and trying to connect to my PC using Win7Home 64bit. The RDP to port 3389 failed as this says, when i run diagnostics it says everything works fine. all three boxes are good. But the thing is still loading. it will not load my desktop! Am i supposed to use the VNC connection or the manual connection because ive tried both. I have no idea how to edit my firewall settings for norton 360 premium 4.0 and remote assistance is active in system properties. I am using the free one at the moment because i want to test it out first. i have previously used a trial for iTeleport but it expired and it was very slow. my password is saved on the device and everything should be set up right. my ip address is there too. I have also tried it in console mode and no change.

The error i get is "Pocketcloud(tm) could not connect to server." only on the manual tab. the VNC just keeps loading.

Im not a software genius as im more a hardware wiz. this is making me really irritated someone help fix this before i throw the *** ipad out the window and preorder an ipad 2.

EDIT: OMG i cannot believe it was that simple. Ok anyone with Windows 7 here's the steps:

1. Go here: and get this: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzz2l5mznzm
2. Extract files.
3. Run the install as administrator.
4. Follow the steps.
5. Make sure all other connections found are deleted. Note this is only necessary for the free users.

Note that sticky notes will give you an error message but ignore it. Thats it everybody. so freaking simple. Note that the free version is god aweful slow im not sure if the paid version is better but i am getting an ipad 3 eventually. or ipad 2 if they get rid of ios4. i hate it.

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 03:00

I managed to get past the port 3389 problem with this thread's advice but I still get "VNC to port failed" which blocks me on my android phone. The 3389 port is open for me now, what to I do about this last little problem? I am using Vista 

edit: The diagnostic thinks the problem is with the friewall configuration and port 3389, but under my firewall settings I have it open and in auto-detect "RDP to port 3389 is successful."

No Events found!