Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E2

August 1st, 2015 22:00

Windows 7 issue? Running Setup Wizard -- Configure Firewall has a red X

Windows 7 issue? Running Setup Wizard -- Configure Firewall has a red X

I recently switched to Windows 7 and am attempting to get Companion installed on the new laptop on our network. Previously I was successful using PocketCloud with my iPad2 in a Windows XP environment.

When I run the set-up wizard for Companion it seems to run fine with the exception of the red "X" on the firewall section. The RDP port setting is fine and VNC is not enabled. Also, the firewall is disabled per our system administrator.

While Discovered Connections is On on the iPad there is no match found. I attempted a manual connection, but was unsuccessful with that as well. I have shut both down several times and logged out/in to my gmail account on each.

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2015 23:00

Do you have a anti-virus application installed on the computer you are having trouble installing the Companion on? It is possible that the anti-virus program is stopping the Companion from properly setting up.

For a manual connection, please use the following setup guide:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...on-your-router

Let me know if this helps.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

August 6th, 2015 08:00

Hey Josh,

My administrator and I made certain the firewall and the ant-virus settings were not causing the problem. We also tried the manual set up, but were unsuccessful.

I'll keep persisting.

Thanks!

1.3K Posts

August 11th, 2015 08:00

When you try and connect, what is the error message you get?

Josh Maurer

August 11th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Yes, I regularly RDP to my laptop from our library reference desk PC (I'm doing it right now). I'll persist in trying the PocketCloud and let you know if I am successful.

EH

Just the red "X" in Firewall setting with the option to "retry" or "skip". 

I removed PocketCloud several times over the past few days and restarted my computer, but to no avail. After the most recent time (5 minutes ago) the kite icon disappeared from my tray and has not reappeared. (Later: kite icon has reappeared.)

1.3K Posts

Can you connect to the desktop using a computer via RDP?

In Control Panel, navigate to Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings > Inbound Rules > Remote Desktop (TCP-In), verify Allow Connections is checked from the properties.

Let me know if this helps. If it does not, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send you details on how get a log from the Companion.

Josh Maurer

1.3K Posts

Edward, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send you details on how get a log from the Companion top further troubleshoot the issue.

Josh Maurer

1 Message

Any Update?

We're having a similar issue under what sounds like the same conditions. I've checked the inbound firewall rules and I see exceptions for pocketcloudinstallwizard, pocketcloudservice, and wyes browser so I'm stumped. Same symptom, red X next to firewall setting when the wizard is run and the iPad simply can't discover the PC. Have it running on my home computer but just not working on the machines in the office.

One point, in the outbound rules it looks like remote assistance "Public" is disabled ... this might be the problem.

Suggestions?

August 12th, 2015 02:00

Even though we got the red "X" to become a green check mark, we could not get the iPad to recognize Companion was running on the PC. Once I went off the "public" WiFi and onto our secure internal WiFi, I am able to log on and my iPad finds my PC. Clearly this is an issue with how the public WiFi is operating. Since I have no control over this (or any opportunity to give feedback) I will not be pursuing this.

Josh: Thank you VERY MUCH for your time and attention to this issue for me.

Peace,

EH

1.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 02:00

No problem Edward.

Mwyman, it could be that your office's firewall may be blocking the incoming or outgoing connection. Can you right click on the companion (kite) icon, select Preferences, navigate to the Advanced tab, select the Run Diagnostics button. Does it say RDP or VNC is not listening?

Josh Maurer

No Events found!