Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 31st, 2015 04:00

"Session Disconnected" error

Question"Session Disconnected" error

I've been using Pocket Cloud to connect my iOS devices (iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4s) to my Macintosh desktop for about 15 months. I connect over my local WiFi and remotely, across the internet. I've had a few issues, but have managed to sort them out.

Until now.

I use MacOS 10.5.8, the original no-snow Leopard. My iOS devices run the current OS, although I doubt I will update the iPad when iOS 6 is deployed.

There are compelling reasons why I don't run Snow Leopard or Lion.

I am running Wyse PocketCloud Mac Companion v2.0.7s on my Leopard volume. This IS my default operation. Some months ago, I started getting constant flags that there was a new version of PocketCloud Mac Companion available. When I downloaded and installed it, I was informed that it would no longer run with the free apps. So I reverted to the version I'm running.

A few days ago, Wyse shoved updates to my iPad and iPhone, and I started getting "session disconnected" errors at every attempt to connect. I have downloaded and attempted to install the latest Mac Companion (v2.0.32s), and it will not install on my default MacOS volume. 10.5.8 is no longer supported. So I reverted to v2.0.7s, and have checked and re-checked all my settings on every device, and I can no longer connect.

I would like to continue to use the application. I would pay once for the paid app, although I think the price is relatively high, but from what I can glean from the posted support community, there's no reason to think it would work better for MY purpose than the free version. I can't, however, put another subscription on my budget. I only own technology because my family is generous, I live on a severely constrained budget.

What I do does not, and will never, involve streaming audio or video from my Mac to my mobile device. All I do is maintain the home computer, and occasionally forward an e-mail or send a document.

I would appreciate suggestions. It would be nice if Wyse would post minimum system requirements, which used to be the norm for developers. I have no idea whether Wyse has decided to leave people like me who run an older version of the MacOS behind. It would be nice if there were older versions of Pocket Companion for Mac made available, but I can't find that this is the case.

9 Posts

August 5th, 2015 04:00

More information. The "router" address I see in system preferences is different from the "router" address that shows up in AirPort Utility. When I use the address shows in AirPort Utility, I do connect to my DSL modem. However, the utility I access through http is a ZyXEL utility. The menus are as follows:

EQ-660R-F1
+Network
WAN
LAN
NAT
+Security
Firewall
Packet Filter
Certificates
+Advanced
Static Route
QoS
Dynamic DNS
Remote MGMT
UPnP
+Maintenance

Of course, each submenu brings up its own page, and I have looked at each, and I find port forwarding under "Network / NAT." The options don't exactly comport with the instructions; the ZyXEL utility offers a form that "adds a rule" but does not offer VNC in the pop-up menu, so I chose "user defined" and accessed a form that lets me name the service and assign a range of ports. I filled in "VNC" and "5900" and "5900". I then filled in my "server IP address" as reported in system preferences, that's the IP address for my computer as assigned by my AirPort Express.

I am still getting the "session disconnected" error.

I can send screen shots if that will clarify.

1.3K Posts

Not totally sure, but I think this will walk you through doing it (not using Safari):

http://nthekno.info/2011/10/port-for...2-11n-mac-osx/

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

9 Posts

Thanks Josh.

I tried setting up the manual connection before I posted; I was not able to connect to my router (Apple AirPort Express 802.11n) via the http connection through Safari. Is there a way to achieve the same thing through AirPort Utility?

1.3K Posts

I am in the same boat too. I am still using 10.5 on my home computer. What you can do is set up a manual connection rather than a auto-discovered connection. Here are the instructions on how to set up a manual connection:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...on-your-router

We do have a list of supported platforms in the app store for the application. It states the following:

SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
+Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003 & 2008
+Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7
+Linux: Requires a VNC Server

Hope this helps.

Josh Maurer

9 Posts

August 11th, 2015 07:00

Hi Josh -- it didn't work. I got assistance from my ISP to set my DSL modem to bridge mode. I've been able to connect over the LAN in my home, but I still do not have settings that allow me to connect over the WAN.

1.3K Posts

Did you see Chris's latest response?

Yes, your ISP may change your IP address from time to time. That's why he have the PocketCloud Companion to work around that issue.

I ran a port check using this tool: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and it says that port 5900 is not open. Make sure that the "Private IP Address" in your router is pointing to the correct computer (the one that has Remote Desktop enabled). Also disable any sort of firewall software that may be running on your computer.

Please also check to ensure that the VNC option is checked in System Preferences. See: http://www.mochasoft.dk/wizard_w2ml.htm.

Please let me know if this does not help.

Josh Maurer

9 Posts

OK, I've followed the directions in port-forwarding-airport-extreme, starting with "Apple Remote Desktop" tried editing settings for a couple of the presets (Apple Remote Desktop and Remote Login SSH) and I'm still not connecting.

1.3K Posts

Is this you posting at the bottom?

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...#post_21544386

Like Chris mentioned, it sounds as though you have things set right for your port mapping. What you need to do is get your public IP address is by going to www.whatsmyip.net and then creating a Manual Connection in PocketCloud with that.

Josh Maurer

9 Posts

And I can no longer connect over LAN or WAN.

9 Posts

Yes, that's me.

As I posted there, I have "discovered" and added my IP to the manual configuration, and I am not connecting. The app has worked so brilliantly for me up to this point, I'm feeling a little discouraged.

1.3K Posts

August 11th, 2015 08:00

Do you know what changed from when you were able to connect over your LAN?

When you mentioned not being able to connect outside of your network while you are able to connect while you are on it, it sounds as though it is a router/firewall issue (which we have been trying to help troubleshoot with you). Unfortunately, at this point the issue is moving a little out of our support scope since it is not any configuration within the app. We have gone through multiple troubleshooting steps with you and things keep pointing at your routers configuration. You may want to contact the manufacturer for further assistance with allowing remote connections through.

Josh Maurer

9 Posts

August 11th, 2015 08:00

Still cannot connect via "manual connection."

My support requests have apparently been abandoned both here and on the K-Base help site, and this is after I paid for the pro version.

No Events found!