Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

IA

May 5th, 2015 08:00

DHCP options tags are not beig applied to WYSE clients...

DHCP options tags are not beig applied to WYSE clients...

Hi,

About to loose my mind... basically we are working towards a small WYSE Thin Client deployment in our environment. The WYSE clients require to receive certain DHCP Option Tags to find the WCM server of which they receive their configuration from. Same applies to the WDM Server as well. The problem is no matter what we do, our test client is not receiving the custom option tags we've defined in our DHCP server (server 2008 R2). 

DHCP Servers:

vlan41

Test Client:

vlan46 - ip helpers defined on the switch

Set to receive the same ip address from the DHCP server through the reservation route.

Option Tags:

186 - WDM Server - 10.40.1.184

195 - WCM Server - 10.40.1.185

196 - WCM Path - / 

I've installed Wire Shark on the test client to monitor the DHCP activity. The above custom options tags are not being pushed on to the client. 

The Router, DNS Server and Domain Tags are being pushed. So it's working but also not working????!!!

I know this sounds more like an Server 2008 R2 DHCP issue but I'm out of solutions. Been at it for two weeks now. I can't find the problem. Any insight would be useful. 

I have a very similar problem, but in my case if the device is on the same subnet as the WDM the devices are found, but anywhere else nothing is found

Quick update: Further analysis shows that the client is not requesting options 186, 195 and 196 when it sends out a request packet, hence Windows Server 2008 DHCP is not responding back with an offer containing these options. Not sure why this is case? I have confirmation from a Microsoft Certified Professional that if the client requesting an IP does not request a particular option, DHCP does not offer that option to the client despite the fact it's defined for the scope the client is receiving it's IP from. So this could be an issue with the client.

36 Posts

May 5th, 2015 15:00

If it's any consolation, I've been repeatedly assured by several support engineers that the DHCP tags work correctly.  That is, in spite of reproducing the issue that you're seeing with a field engineer on-site (same goes for SRV records and subnet-based discovery, as well).

Hopefully they will address this soon, as it has existed at least since WDM 4.9.

560 Posts

May 5th, 2015 19:00

Verify that the Option Tag "Data Type" is correct

DHCP   Option # Type Description Used By
183 String WCM Protocol WCM
186 IP Address Default WDM IP Address WDM
190 Word WDM Secure Port WDM
192 Word WDM Non-Secure Server Port WDM
195 String WCM FTP Server WCM
196 String WCM Path WCM

19 Posts

May 6th, 2015 21:00

To an extent your MS MCP contact is correct - no DHCP Tag request = no Tags.  You see an OT55 in the bootp traffic that indicates which tags are being requested from the client.

That said - The request for those extra WDM and WCM tags will come after the IP address request when the various services start up.  The device(s) may be requesting the tags later down in your trace file.  There's pretty good delay on bootup (~60sec) before the services start talking to allow VPNs and wireless connections to establish. 

A common mistake is formatting the OT values incorrectly (e.g. string vs IP for OT186) or leaving off OT190 and OT192 that provide the communication port (required). Check those formats and add the missing tags.  If you still aren't seeing the requests doublecheck if the Hagent service is actually running on your device. 

You could also try DNS A record for 'wdmserver' pointed to the server IP as its a very straight forward setup without formatting complications but your DHCP settings should also work once configured completely.

There's an app in the start menu of the WDM server (wdm>utilities>dns_dhcp_lookup.exe) that will attempt to validate discovery options for you - its a good sanity check for sure.

-k

36 Posts

May 12th, 2015 10:00

Thanks, but I can't make heads or tails of your reply.  The OP is asking a question about the required tags, and has noted the context as both WCM and WDM.  He has received responses which include tag 195 - as type "String", in apparent contradiction with your reply.

If this is not required, then why did our Dell consultant configure it, and why isn't there authoritative, legible documentation that users can refer to that avoids this sort of unnecessary confusion?

With regard to the DNS SRV record, this is another component that simply doesn't function correctly - whether or not one reads thru the typos in the Admin Guide - but that's another topic.

19 Posts

Option tag 195 is not part of WDM - rather used to provide the IP or FQDN of the standalone WCM server.  WDM does include the same WCM configuration support but not intended to function as a standalone service.  WCM configurations are process and deployed using the HAgent in conjunction with WCM client.  If deploying updates through WDM then you won't need to define OT195 - just the WDM specific OT186,190, and 192.  You can also use the DNS A or DNS SRV record to define the location of WDM.

If looking to setup standalone WCM server then you'll find the configuration information you are looking for in the WCM Admin guide: https://appservices.wyse.com/supportdownload/WCM/Wyse_Configuration_Manager_1.0_%20Admin_Guide_MAY2011.pdf

-k

36 Posts

Could you please clarify what is required for tag 195?  Why is this not an IP address, like 186?  The Dell consultant who set ours up defined it as such.

I can also find no reference to tag 195 in the "Dell Wyse Device Manager Version 5.0 - Administrator's Guide", nor in the DHCP configuration guide the consultant gave us.

Thanks.

36 Posts

May 12th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the (verbose) clarification.  I do appreciate the input, and will give it the appropriate weight corresponding to a random internet poster, versus an authoritative Dell/Wyse source.

19 Posts

Like you I'm a random poster on an internet support site killing some free time - I can't begin to speculate on the nomadic algae formations in Istanbul nor the reasoning behind the actions of consultants. But I did stay at a holiday inn express last night :) 

The OP hasn't responded since someone suggested they check the OT formats - So I'm not sure whether their issue persists or not. As that issue was more along tags not being requested (or requests unseen in the network trace), it may not be a configuration issue on the tags themselves.  Their issue may just be that They left WriteFilter disabled and the WCM service only runs if FBWF is enabled.  That wouldn't directly affect HAgent checkins (or option tag 186 request) so could also be a firewall or routing conflict. 

I was trying to answer your question specific to WCM tag 195 in comparison to a WDM tag 186 and requesting documentation on how to configure it.  In the context of use with WDM there is no need for the extra tag 195. No other post contradicts that - info on configuring OT195 was provided by others but nothing as to whether its required.  As I mentioned, if you are using WCM as part of WDM then update the Agents and use WDM to deploy the cfgs.  If you do in fact want to use WCM outside of WDM as a standalone service - then that's where OT195 comes into play.  You referenced the WDM Admin guide but not the WCM guide which a quick search returned the link I provided which documents the WCM option tags along with supporting data on product use outside of WDM.

If you are having specific issues other than what the OP was asking about then it would be a good idea to break those out into a different thread for review.  That way there's less confusion and the OP's question isn't lost in the process.  I'm no good at underwater basket-weaving but I've got units using DNS for checkin without issue so hopefully I can share some insight from my experience with you.

I've read the guides, and I can't say that they are the easiest to follow on all topics but everything I search for seems covered.  You could almost say the Data is presented rather than communicated. This is in no way unique to one company - there's a whole industry dedicated to converting engineer-speak into normal consumable material.  I must be fortunate in that the guides have been successful at answering my deployment questions over the years.

-k

560 Posts

From the WCM 1.3.1.0 Admin Guide available at www.wyse.com/downloads at the same location where you can downloads WCM, on page 31, Option tag 195 is described as follows:

Server (ftp/http/https). Optional IP Address or string. Can be either the IP Address or the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Repository server. If a name is given, the name must be resolvable by the DNS server(s) specified in Option 6. If the option provided by the server is blank or the server provides no value for the field, the machine on which the DHCP server resides is assumed to be the server

Hope this clarifies things.

19 Posts

May 12th, 2015 15:00

Blond Joe, only a Sith speaks in absolutes. I get the sense that you don't trust my info. From what I can read you're less than satisfied with the various tech guides, onsite consultants, and support engineers - you'd think by now a support offering from a girlscout would carry better favor with you as an authoritative source but I digress.  Do what you will with the info provided; hopefully you'll find the answers you're looking for.

-k

2 Posts

April 18th, 2017 17:00

[BUMP] Was this ever resolved?
I am having the same issue and it's stumping Dell Support.
I have WDM 5.7 installed on a VM running 2012 R2 and on a different subnet I have Option tag 186 with the server's IP address 10.5.115.228 and Option tag 190 as 0x01bb with a few brand new 7010 Thin Clients running Suse Linux image 11.2.092.
When I run dhcptest-0.5-win64.exe I see OT 186 in it's hex equivalent 0A 05 73 E4 and see OT 190 as 0x01bb.
Dell checked all the settings in WDM and IIS. My network team assures me OTs are set correctly.

OT 161 works perfectly but want to utilize DDC which is why we want to use only 186/190. I probably could use 161 to tell the thin client to check into WDM then use DDC but really want this to work as it's supposed to.

Any help would be much appreciated.

No Events found!