Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2015 06:00

Terminal Emulation

Terminal Emulation

Greetings.. I'm looking for some thin clients to replace our current ones (WYSE S10)

The only requirement we have is that it is able to connect directly to our Linux server in order to run a legacy application on our company.

With our current S10's we simply create a connection to "Terminal Emulator" (instead of RDP or ICA) and set them to boot directly to Linux prompt.

All the user needs to do is enter his credentials and that's it.

Does this newer clients have that option?? The clients we have currently run WinTerm, but I believe that's no longer around...

Any suggestion?

9 Posts

Our current thin clients boot to WinTerm... the first screen that is displayed to the user is the "Winterm Connection Manager"

From there we have created a new "terminal emulation" connection... and that connects directly to the Linux console. We then set that connection to be default and to auto connect.

When a user turns on the terminal the first screen they see is the "Winterm Connection Manager" screen briefly, then the connection is launched automatically and the next screen the user sees is the username/password prompt from the Linux server.

That's all we need... no Windows, no Citrix, VMWare no nothing... just a device that would allow us to connect directly to the Linux server via SSH or Telnet

4 Posts

thin clients

Hello, I am responding to you inquiry for newer clients. We just acquired 4 of r90lew, 5 of v90lew, 6 of c90lew all windows embedded and 2010 models.

9 Posts

I'm just trying to figure out what models can connect to linux like what we currently use.

We don't need windows or any other embedded OS..

We are looking for model number of units than can be configured to automatically connect to linux as terminal emulators.

4 Posts

The T10 thin clients are compatible as far as I can see.

623 Posts

May 6th, 2015 07:00

JASS,
if all you need is terminal emulation, the least expensive option for you is the T50, which is Linux Ubuntu based thin client. WTOS devices DO NOT have Terminal Emulation capabilities, since you cannot install any add-ons on it does not have one natively. All thin clients include VMware, Citrix and Microsoft connectivity. For more details, go to www.wyse.com/products

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

623 Posts

The T50 can be setup to automatically boot to the teminal emulator. Dell offers customization services, but does not have technicla support on-site. You may want to go to www.wyse.com/support for the support options, and to www.wyse.com/manuals and search for T50 to take a look at the documentation for the T50.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9 Posts

Originally Posted by RMontalvo 

JASS,
if all you need is terminal emulation, the least expensive option for you is the T50, which is Linux Ubuntu based thin client. WTOS devices DO NOT have Terminal Emulation capabilities, since you cannot install any add-ons on it does not have one natively. All thin clients include VMware, Citrix and Microsoft connectivity. For more details, go to www.wyse.com/products

Thanks for replying.

That T50 unit will boot to Linux then from there the user has to open the emulator and log to our server? Or is there a way to have the unit to automatically boot to our server prompt without user intervention.

Another question.. does dell wyse offer the same onsite support Dell does?

9 Posts

May 7th, 2015 04:00

Originally Posted by RMontalvo 

The T50 can be setup to automatically boot to the teminal emulator. Dell offers customization services, but does not have technicla support on-site. You may want to go to www.wyse.com/support for the support options, and to www.wyse.com/manuals and search for T50 to take a look at the documentation for the T50.

Thank You for the response

May 7th, 2015 06:00

But to connect directly is not as easy as you are supposing..!
It may work but not surly because there are many restrictions..!

Only me..!

March 11th, 2021 13:00

If anyone is looking for good, used, fully tested Wyse Thin Clients.  Let me know what you need.

We have 4,000+ sqft of terminals and barcode printers.

I still carry the S10, S30, S-Series, V-Series, T-Series, R-Series and Z-Series.

I even `bought the Original Wyse Local Number for

some of you old timers that have it memorized...... (408) 473-1200

And I have a 800 number: 1-800-BUY-WYSE   (289-9973)

Thanks for your time.

Rob Stone

Stone Systems

San Jose, CA

No Events found!