Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2015 02:00

Bricked d10d

Hi,

Long story but in short I've managed to kill one of our d10d terminals during testing of a new wnos.ini and now am unable to factory reset it.

• Admin password has an unknown typo in it so cannot login as administrator
  • G key reset will not work as I believe there was a conflict in the privilege level and lockdown mode which renders it useless
  • Configured with static IP as I was manually pointing it at a test ftp server

Does anyone know of any other way to factory reset a ThinOS device or is this client now an expensive door stop?

I thought the USB firmware tool may be an option however from what I've read it doesn't seem to apply to the ThinOS devices.

We have WDM available but I don't see an option to factory reset from there which would have been a nice feature.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

560 Posts

December 29th, 2015 14:00

If you are in the US you may want to contact our support center at 1-800-800-9973 option 3 and see about getting an RMA to get it repair. they should be able to answer if the device is under warranty or how much it would cost to repair.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2015 01:00

Thanks.

We resolved by applying the latest firmware image over the top using the Wyse USB tool.

October 19th, 2016 15:00

Fauxone (and Roger),

May I ask how exactly you managed to perform your fix?

I have the same issue on our Dell WYSE D10D after unregistering it from CCM when I should have actually wiped it. It retains some of the settings afterwards, for example the Admin password (which also won't work), and the biggest thing is that it was set to Low Privilege. That means both the 'G' key reset and Shutdown reset options will not work; for them to work it had to be set to High Privilege. This thin client is locked down still through CCM, even though it is not in that list after unregistering. Oh, and Global ini was disabled..

I tried putting only 1 file on: firmware version 8.3_012 onto a 32GB USB thumb drive, that didn't work. I also tried putting only Dell Wyse USB Imaging Tool 2.1.2.exe onto it. Each time (after changing boot device in BIOS) a black screen comes on during boot saying 'Accessing' or 'Processing Operating System' (I attached a picture, as it is cut off the screen).

I have a feeling I'm going to have to try either the RMA if still under warranty or just have them repair at a cost. I thought the USB firmware tool wouldn't be an option, but the User's Guide says 'D10D - Wyse 5010 thin client with ThinOS' but it still seems as though it is meant for Windows Embedded. There are these 2 requirements listed, and the thin client lists the SSD as only being 2GB to begin with, unless those requirements are only for Windows Embedded thin clients...

• A minimum free disk space of 2 GB to download, extract, and install the USB Imaging Tool.
  • Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 must be installed.

Any idea as to where to go from here?

560 Posts

October 20th, 2016 09:00

The USB Firmware Tool is a utility that needs to be installed on a PC. The firmware file must be extracted on the same PC. You then connect a USB stick to your PC and run the USB firmware Tool, as an administrator, and create the Bootable USB stick with the firmware using the "Image Push" option and selecting the extracted firmware file. You can get help by pressing the F1 key.

October 20th, 2016 12:00

I’ve tried installing both the current version, as well as older versions of the Dell Wyse USB Imaging Tool. Each time it gives me an error:

Windows 7 error: …exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Windows 10 error: This app can’t run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

I am pretty sure this is because I tried on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit and on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. They list only Enterprise OS as being supported, which I don’t have access to.

I have found a possible second way to fix this issue. Supposedly, if you setup DHCP option tag 199 this will also do the trick, somehow requiring said thin client(s) to have to re-register. I would prefer to go the firmware flash route though, it seems a little less invasive than the DHCP option tag option. They make it sound easy enough in these instructions:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/SLN289677

Anyhow, I will have to attempt the DHCP option tag fix some evening, as I’m not sure how it’ll affect things (ex: might possibly unregister/wipe every thin client within that DHCP scope??) That is unless I can get the USB Imaging Tool to work.

Thank you in advance.

560 Posts

October 27th, 2016 18:00

Make sure you run the installation as an administrator.

No Events found!