Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 02:00

Lockdown Dell Wyse 5040 AIO

I have a number of Dell Wyse 5040 AIO terminals (wired network connection) which access a centrally held wnos.ini file and via that they are locked down and users are presented with a logon dialog box for an RDP session.

However, if the terminals are booted up without a network connection, they boot into the local system in administrator mode and so users have access to the tools to reconfigure the terminal. This has been identified as a security risk, and so i need to find a way to lockdown the terminals to prevent this. The os the terminals are running is version 8.6.

Is there anyway to create a local user account which can be locked down? I have not been able to locate any documentation which would indicate that this is possible.

3 Apprentice

• 

741 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 11:00

The commands you are looking for are:

MirrorFileServer=yes

This will retain all settings in the INI file locally so that if it does not have access to the network it will stay locked

AdminMode=yes Username=adminuser Password=adminpassword

This will provide either an ability to left click and get an admin prompt, or click on the lock and get an admin prompt and be able to bypass the security hardening.   Obviously you can change username and password to anything you want.

Also you want to start looking into replacing legacy FTP/INI with the GUI based management console, Wyse Management Suite as well. 

May 24th, 2019 02:00

Thank you for your response.

I have added the "MirrorFileServer=yes" to the wnos.ini file as advised, but when the terminal boots up without a network connection, i am still able to access the system setup and other menus without having to go into admin mode , even though these items are either hidden or suppressed via the wnos.ini file.

However , with the "MirrorFileServer=yes" in the wnos.ini file, if i boot up the terminal and it has a network connection, then the system setup and other menu items are not available (greyed out)

No Events found!