Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 16th, 2015 08:00

VNC on 7.1_122

VNC on 7.1_122

Hi all,
New here and looking to get some sort of help on a very frustrating problem I seem to keep having. We use the model C10LE here at work for our stores and it seems very recently with the newer versions purchased from Dell we're running into some strange issues. We have ran into several stores that have received these new thin clients who have accidentally restored the machines to factory default via the check box on the shutdown menu. This typically wouldn't be that much of a problem, but on firmware version 7.1_122 suddenly we have lost the ability to log in via VNC to enter in the more complicated manual settings. Older firmware versions still work with VNC such as 7.0_217. Our ini file seems to be fine:

#Enable VNC and settings
maxvncd=1
vncpassword=xxxxxx00 ( not really password )
vncprompt=no

Everything else is obviously working correctly, it's just very frustrating. Could someone confirm that something else is changing via this new firmware and a way to correct this? It would be very helpful! Thanks

Dan

2 Posts

The sites themselves can actually get the .ini file successfully. They can also connect to the server successfully (obviously). I have verified this here on site to make sure. It must be some sort of parameter inside the .ini file that needs to be updated to support this new version. I have no idea's otherwise. 

16 Posts

I have a few units(T10's) doing the same thing. My guess is the units haven't received the INI file. From what I ***, starting from firmware version 122 forward the units REQUIRE a VNC password to be set to remote shadow the devices. Are DHCP option tags setup? if not, you could always try contacting the site and have them manually enter the WDM server into the device (not ideal, but should work) so they can grab the INI file.

16 Posts

June 16th, 2015 09:00

You can try adding these lines for the VNC part. I just used and encrypted version of "password" for this example. I use the commands below (not that password) and everything works properly. 

MaxVNCD=1 VNCD_8bits=yes VNCD_Zlib=yes
VNCPassword="cGFzc3dvcmQ=" (this is the base 64 encrypted password)
VNCPrompt=no Accept=5

edit - just realized you HAVE to specify if the password is encrypted or not. So at the end of the VNCPassword line, make sure you addencrypt=yes or no. It could be that I am on the latest version of WTOS (7.1_207) that makes me have to add the encrypt portion to the end.

1 Message

I'm having the exact same problem with all 14 of our C10LEs running 7.1_122 (I get a "failed to connect to server" message when trying to remote shadow the units with VNC). I have 68 C10LEs running 7.1_033, and I can shadow them just fine. The following lines have worked (and still work) just fine for the 7.1_033 machines, but not for the 7.1_122 machines: 

VncPassword=omitted
VNCPrompt=no

I have tried making the following additions (even though all of the additions are supposedly the default values) to the wnos.ini file, and they work fine for the 7.1_033 machines, but still not for the 7.1_122 machines:

MaxVNCD=1
Service=vncd disable=no
Service=wdm disable=no
VncPassword=omitted encrypt=no
VNCPrompt=no

Is a certain version of Wyse Device Manager required in order to remote shadow the 7.1_122 machines? And if so, is that version still able to shadow the old S10s?

2 Posts

Same issue here...... T10 terminals....7.1_122 

##VNC REMOTE SHADOW ###
MaxVNCD=1 VNCD_8bits=yes VNCD_Zlib=yes
VNCPassword=password encrypt=no
Service=vncd disable=no
Service=wdm disable=no
VNCPrompt=no Accept=5

This is not working either...........

1 Message

Quote Originally Posted by KeefD View Post

VNCPassword="cGFzc3dvcmQ=" (this is the base 64 encrypted password)

edit - just realized you HAVE to specify if the password is encrypted or not. So at the end of the VNCPassword line, make sure you addencrypt=yes or no.

I just want to point out that although the option might be named "encrypt", it is important to be aware that Base64 is a two-way encoding, not an encryption scheme.

Base64 encoding provides absolutely zero protection for your passwords.

3 Posts

June 17th, 2015 01:00

recreate wnos.ini

I ended up recreating my wnos.ini file which resolved the issue for me. Not sure if it terminal was having issues reading something in the .ini file or it was corrupted somehow.

Here is what I have in for VNC.
MaxVNCD=2
VncPassword=password
VncPrompt=No

623 Posts

June 17th, 2015 01:00

Thankd for the update.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No Events found!