Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2015 07:00

Cache the whole OS image in RAM - possible ?

Cache the whole OS image in RAM - possible ?

Hello

I just got an idea, if the OS image for example are 25GB, and server are ... 48GB RAM, then, are there a way to use any tools to get the whole OS image file cache into RAM, so the disks as bottleneck would be eliminated and only be used for write cache traffic.

Are there any option in WSM for such things? Or do maybe someone have experience with any external RAM disk softwares in combination with WSM os image?

200 Posts

WSM just reads and writes to the disk but does not cache anything in RAM itself.
Optimizing read and write operations from/to storage is solely under the control of the server Operating System, and it decides by it's own built-in algorythm what is going into the file system cache and how much of the vitual memory is consumed for this service. It would be new to me that it is possible to set any priority on which files and/or directories should be cached in RAM with the onboard tools included in Windows Server.
If the bottleneck is the storage performance, companies like Fuision-io are offering solutions to maximize IO throughout and mitigate shortcomings of the storage side of the house.

#Iwork4Dell

1 Message

It will be interesting to know when is it expected?

Pass4sure pass4sure ccna
Braindumps my-braindumps.com
mywritingjob.com http://www.mywritingjob.com/

200 Posts

WSM completely relies on the Windows OS in regards to Disk Subsystem, Memory, Network etc., so every further optimization would need to be done on the Servers Operating side.

63 Posts

Quesition - if we max out RAM on our servers, will then WSM use all the available RAM for caching the write cache and IO load bottleneck will get reduced?

No Events found!