Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2015 03:00

Persisent and volatile on same OS image, but different device groups?

Persisent and volatile on same OS image, but different device groups?

Hello

I have multiple device groups, and made an image that can be used on all those different HW's so it save alot work for patching only one image. However, I guess it isn't possible to have both persisent and volatile image set for different device groups, at one and same image, would it be possible to implement it as new feature for next version?

63 Posts

June 16th, 2015 01:00

I would love to have the option to have both persisent and volatile devices on one single image, are there any downsides which make it less likely to get implemented in future versions?

200 Posts

June 16th, 2015 01:00

Please contact your Dell Wyse Sales team to justify the business case and they will follow up with Product Management.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 09:00

I would love to have this option.  The business case for this is that I have some clients that need to act as if they have a harddrive and be able to store user information but I also have classroom labs that need to be reset after every user or at least at the end of the day.  I want to save space on my servers so having a single image to stream but allowing it to be both persistent and volatile depending on the group would be ideal.

20 Posts

October 6th, 2016 03:00

An OS Image

• can have only one Write Cache mode set at a time
  • is assagned to a Device (Group), but not a User (Group)

There are two options that could probably help in this scenario:

• For the OS Image itself: copy the exiting OS Image, register with a new name and use this with a different write cache mode.
  • For the User Profile: you can have User Profile Layering feature of WSM 8.6. It seperates the User portion from the OS, can be set to volatile and persistant cache mode which is seperate from the write cache of the OS Image.

No Events found!