Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 18th, 2015 09:00

Z90D8 keeps shutting down "running out of Memory"

Z90D8 keeps shutting down "running out of Memory"

I am going to be deploying around 35 z90D8s to various warehouses and I have been having issues with the system shutting down due to it running out of memory. Write filter(UWF) is enabled but the issue is still happening. Unnecessary programs were removed from my image and the only thing that was added was MS lync 2013.

All systems have 16GB drive (~3GB Free) and have been upgraded to 8GB of ram. I have tried expanding the ramdisk to maximum to 1024MB but that did not work. I really dont feel like recreating my image from scratch again but I am running out of options.

2 Posts

May 18th, 2015 09:00

I had an image w/o Lync so I reverted to that image seems like Lync was the root cause somehow even though lync was not set up with a user yet.

36 Posts

May 18th, 2015 17:00

I'd be curious to know if there's any response from Dell on this, as I have seen the same problem on the Z90D7.  It'd be nice to know if there's an explanation other than "remove "Lync".

P.S. - I can't even remove Lync, as I get the cryptic error "not enough space on Z:"  What?  More than 100 MB required in order to remove an application?

6 Posts

May 28th, 2015 05:00

I'm having same issue on a different setup. The solution I'm trying to implement is a daily reboot to clear the memory. So far we haven't had much luck, we put a scheduled task to restart at 3 am but once it had ran once the devices started rebooting every few minutes. Currently I'm working on figuring out why this behavior happens, but it is very possible a daily reboot will fix your issues since it will return all the allocated memory to the operating system that isn't being properly released by the programs.

1 Message

May 12th, 2016 13:00

Hi:

Just wondering if u had found any solution to the problem that you described. It has been over a year now since you last posted this problem. I am new to this problem and so is seeking wisdom from other professionals.

Thx.

560 Posts

May 20th, 2016 10:00

All Dell Wyse Windows-based thin client use "Shared" memory, What this means is that if you have a TC with 4GB of RAM, that memory is distributed between the following:

• Video
  • System
  • Write Filter
  • RAM Disk
  • Applications

The amount of memory assigned to some of these sub-systems can be defined, while other just use what the others leave available. for this reason, you need to look closely at the error message to understand which sub-system is running out of memory to address the correct one.

"Video memory" - this value is address in the BIOS and may or may not be changeable depending on the model and the BIOS version.

"System Memory" is not configurable

"File Based Write Filter: or "Unified Write Filter" - Configurable only by the Administrator using the FBWF or UWF utility.

"RAMDisk" - Configurable through control pane. Depending on the model the maximum size of the RAMDisk can be 100, 512 or 1024GB.

"Applications" - Not configurable.

Now that you know who consumes memory, when you get the "Out of Memory error" message, take a look at the upper left hand corner on the bar, to see which memory subsystem is running out of memory.

If this corner mentions "File Based Write Filter", adjusting the amount of RAM assigned to the FBWF may address this issue. If the FBWF is set to 256MB, increase it to 512MB and test again. If you continue to get the same failure, increase it by another 256MB to 768MB and test again. Continue to increase if necessary until you minimize this issue.

The "Close program to prevent memory loss" or Your computer is low on memory" messages are Windows system memory messages presented when the thin client is running out of system memory. This is caused by opening too many apps, or an app that is eating too much system memory. Closing some apps, reducing the size of the RAMDisk or adding more memory to your TC should resolve the problem.

"Close programs to prevent information loss" message is caused by running out of RAMDisk. This message is coming from Windows when it runs out of system resources (memory) and can no longer place any data in the RAMDisk. Increasing the size of the RAM disk normally resolves this problem.

Note: Keep in mind that knowing how you applications use memory is crucial to make these adjustments. Some (e.g. Internet Explorer) will use the "Z:\Temp" directory, which is handled by the RAMDisk, others (e.g. Chrome browser) use the "c:\User\..." directory, which uses the Write Filter.

Also note that is you are using a WES7 or any 32-bit version of Windows, you are limited to a 4GB addressable memory space, but you can only have access to 3GB of RAM. If you are using a WES7P, WE8S, or WIE 10 IoT 64-bit TC, you can use up to 8 GB of RAM on the TC (limit of the TC, no Windows) and these problems will more than likely disappear.

Tools you can use to troubleshoot these issues that are built in to Windows include:

• Windows Task Manager - You can access it, as an Administrator only, by right-clicking on the task bar and select “Task Manager”. Select the “Performance” tab to review how your system memory resources are doing. If you want to see more details, click on the “Resource Monitor” button.
  • File Based Write Filter control - This control is only available to the Administrator account when the FBWF is “Enabled” (green dot). You can control the size of FBWF by increasing or decreasing the “Amount of RAM to be used for FBWF cache (MB)”
  • File Explorer (Windows Explorer) - File Explorer will allow you to see if the size of your Z: (RAMDisk) drive is growing as your application is running. You may need to refresh the application to view the updated values.

Summary:

While memory requirements for Terminal Server clients and brokers is easier to determine, using any third party web browser or application introduces a level of uncertainty since there are too many variables that are unknown to make an intelligent distribution of the memory without going through the steps outlined above.
For this reason, if you have any of these situations:

• Need to use a web browser other than Internet Explorer
  • Using the thin client for Web Applications only
  • Using the thin client as a Web Kiosk
  • Running third-party apps (java based or other) on the thin client

The use of a WES7P or WE8S (both using 64 bit environments) thin client with 8GB of RAM is highly recommended.
Let’s be clear, these memory  issues you are experiencing may be due to the use of the thin client as a standalone device and not having enough memory resources to allocate. To address the different issues you may encounter, you will need to increase the amount of memory to the proper location(s), so care needs to be paid to the error message. The next section will address these error message and provide you some guidance on what is the recommended adjustment you need to make.

Sorry for the long posting, but I hope this helps.

No Events found!