Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

February 25th, 2018 12:00

A14 Bios Update Zapped my XPS One 2720

This is a mid-2013 refurbished XPS One 2720 with Windows 10, 64 bit.  It's been a lemon. The hard drive failed in the first year. Now, I just updated the Bios from A13 to A14 as the Dell pop-up window advised. Afterwards, the update didn't recognize my mouse. I used the keyboard to call up Task Manager, and the window was blank! Not a single app listed as running. I ran the Diagnostics from the Bios menu, and it gives me one error code: 2000-0142, validation 130649 for the replacement hard drive I put in in 2015. Lovely.

I use the keyboard to call up System Restore... which I did... not realizing that the restore point was AFTER the Bios had updated. Could not perform a second restore with any earlier date. Downloaded the A13 Bios file for my system from Dell and attempted to execute it from the DOS Command prompt.  Wouldn't work because the system said I had a more current version.  Great.  Go into Safe Mode to further troubleshoot, but the mouse driver wasn't being recognized in Safe Mode, either.

I am resetting the PC now; I've asked it to save my files.  .. Now for the rest of the story...

OK - It's recognizing my mouse, but the DVD drive is not working properly.  I'm trying to reinstall programs like my Adobe Acrobat Pro.... and it just won't run.  It says the drive is not accessible!

You really, really **bleep** me over Dell.  I think you owe me a new computer.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 25th, 2018 17:00

A system restore won't downgrade BIOS.

Read this for some relevant info.

No Events found!