Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Community Manager

• 

377 Posts

July 24th, 2022 03:00

DS 07/24: Do you recommend leaving your computer running all the time or shutting it down?

Do you recommend leaving your computer running all the time or shutting it down? Why or why not?

For more questions regarding this contest, please visit the Information Page here.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

July 24th, 2022 08:00

I stream all my programs. My PC is hooked up to my tv and I leave it on 24/7. When not in use it goes to sleep. I have never really had any problems doing this. 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

July 25th, 2022 10:00

Old school, always turned it off.

Some say tuning it on can cause shorter life to components due to spikes in the current draw, but I don't think so.

I have no need to keep it on. My router has a USB drive (external) that I send files (mostly pictures and video) to so I always have access to them on Smart TV's and mobile devices.

However, when I do need REMOTE ACCESS to my PC, I will leave it on.

I don't think there is an answer that 'fits all'.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

July 25th, 2022 11:00

I agree, I think it is a kinda do what works best for you situation. I don't believe that turning it on shortens the life span or that leaving it on shortens the life span. I have an Inspiron 570 from 2010 or so that is still running and has been running my little household weather station and it is always on.

52 Posts

July 25th, 2022 21:00

24/7 unless thunder storms roll thru.  That and my A C line protection then gets unplugged completely

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

July 26th, 2022 03:00

Having lived in 2 areas of heavy summer thunderstorms, I use UPS's on all the PC's, the modem and router. A extra from this is that since with the storms, loss of power also happens. The UPS will shutdown the PC if its battery becomes low. UPS's work better than a Surge protector too. They don't pass the AC directly but filer it via transformers so you are never really connected to the AC. Dell PC's generally require Active PFC models, cost a bit more than the AVR type.

Never had to unplug anything. Also they will generally send emails to you when there is a line event. We live in Florida now, and A/C power can have spikes it seems. I get email often the one or more UPS's have gone to battery mode. Some glitches are so fast, either a stove or microwave clock gets reset, they seem to be more sensitive to voltage drops, but it has to be fast or above the threshold set in the UPS to turn-on.

16 Posts

July 26th, 2022 17:00

I'm personally a fan of just leaving it running.   When I want to use it, I want it ready for me "NOW" and being the impatient cur that I am, even with M.2 for boot/os disk - takes too long to get all my apps up and running on initial boot.  I've had machines running 24x7 since the mid 1980's (Commodore 64 baby!), never had issues with shortened lifespan (that didn't involve my poor use of a soldering iron) due to leaving them running and I'm as likely to sit down at my machine at 11pm as I am at 5am (or anywhere in between...    I have shut them down in the past thinking that the electrical cost was going to be significant - Long story short - I was wrong.   It costs a few extra bucks at most per month to just leave the  thing running and have it ready for me when I'm ready to use it.   If you're only using the machine part time, your milage may vary.   I work in IT (remotely), and also am a tinkerer in my spare time.  On average I am in front of the thing like 8-10 hours per day, nearly every day; so for me the time spent waiting for it to boot and load all my "stuff" is a bigger pain than the slight differential in cost to just leave it up and running.   

My two cents FWIW.

Steve  

No Events found!