Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 30th, 2018 11:00

Datasafe Recovery Disks

Thanks, in advance, for the help. My hard drive just died and I'm getting a new one tomorrow. When I bought my XPS 8500, I made "recovery" disks using the Datasafe Recovery software that came with the desktop. Will these disks restore the Windows 7 OS and any other programs that came installed on my machine? Once I've replaced the hard drive, do I just put the first disk in and hope to be guided from there? I run a small business and want to make sure I have all I need to get up and running again tomorrow. Thanks SO much.

2.3K Posts

Hello! If I remember correctly, the Datasafe recovery system is used to create discs that will factory restore your computer in case something happens just like what happened to you. So when you install the new HDD, you pop in the first disc, hit f12 I believe to boot from the disc drive and restore your computer. Now it after all is said and done it will restore to factory defaults, meaning it will be like you just bought it and first turned it on, not like just before the hard drive crashed unfortunately. That means you will have to update windows, uninstall any bloatware or programs you don't want or need, install programs you do want or need and update everything. Expect it to take a few ... well many hours if depending on what OS your running.

2 Posts

Thank you so much. I realize I will lose all my data and have to reinstall other programs, etc but luckily I do backup regularly onto an external drive so I should have all or most of my data.

No Events found!