Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ZA

August 18th, 2018 01:00

XPS 8700, unable to install AMD drivers

hi, I recently got a replacement HD from Dell with a windows OS 8 media. The technician came down and helped to reformate the HD with the media. I asked if he could complete the service to install all important drivers, so he went to the Dell support website, downloaded ethernet driver, intel HD graphics driver and AMD driver and simply told me to run them myself and he left.

I went ahead installed ethernet drivers and then AMD drivers. While installing AMD drivers, "the screen may flicker and turn black during installation", my screen turned black and it remained that way for 10-20mins. I shaked the mouse in hope that maybe the pc simply went to sleep mode, but saw that the red light under the optical mouse went off. The pc power light and monitor was on but just a black screen.

I forced shutdown by holding the power button, on reboot I went to check device manager and saw that the AMD card isnt listed there, but in the program files, the AMD files are created.

I'm running win 8 and AMD gpu is r9 270. XPS 8700

Beside this, I have a few other issues.

I notice that I have device manager showed a "!" on SM bus controller. 

My C drive used to show me the SSD drive in "My computer" but now I only see Local C and SSD missing.

My Dell monitor U2713H is connected by DVI to the AMD card port. Under resolution in windows personalisation for displays, it shows Generic PnP monitor, and the drop down/slider bar to select resolution is greyed out. I went to the drivers page thinking that maybe i need to install, so I download all 4 drivers for the monitor. Only 1 of the 4 drivers was able to install, the others gave me an error and could not complete installation. 

It seems to me that getting the HD created more problems which I do not know how to resolve. I do remember that my system came with win8.1 but I was told by Dell support that I can only purchase win8 from them. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 18th, 2018 01:00

SMBUS controller means Chipset Drivers and INTEL Management Engine Drivers are Not installed.

PCI-E devices will not enumerate or install when chipset,  INTEL USB3,  Management Engine, Sound Card

etc are not installed.  Too many bus conflicts.  The SM is System Management BUS controller.  Windows 8.0 is no longer supported you must update to 8.1 

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-8700.html

DescriptionImportanceVersionReleasedSupported OSDownload
Intel AMT HECI Driver
This package provides Intel AMT HECI Driver Installation and is supported on XPS 8700 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 7/8/8.1More details
Recommended10.0.0.11266/2/2015Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
WB64A
Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver
This package provides Intel USB 3.0 xHCI Driver Installation and is supported on XPS 8700 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 7.More details
Recommended2.5.0.1912/9/2013Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
This package provides Intel Z87 Chipset Installation Utility and is supported on XPS 8700 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 8.1.More details
Recommended9.4.0.102110/17/2013WB64A
No Events found!