Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 25th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8920, USB keyboard and mouse failure?

Purchased this desktop for our shop with its great specs from Costco.  256MB  installed SSD was way too small, so I upgraded.  Next tried to install WIN 7PRO but keyboard and mouse do not  function at the Windows install screen!  I have read the posts relating to the XPS 8910 and tried the usb2 and 3 hubs, they do  nothing.    HELP or this is going back to the store.  The only reason I kept it so far was the great specs.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2018 13:00

Dell only (officially) supports Win 10 on this model.  There are no Win 7 drivers on the downloads for this model. 

Maybe someone on the Win 7 forum  www.sevenforums.com can help you get around that and install Win 7.  Otherwise I would say take it back. 

2 Posts

December 24th, 2021 04:00

I was pulling my hair out over this and then I found a solution.  The issue is that general Windows Power Management was either not allocating enough power to the USB ports or something along those lines.  Try this out:

• Open up the Device Manager by searching for "Device Manager" in the bottom left search bar of your home screen.  
  • Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers by double clicking upon it.
  • Double click the USB Root Hub and then click on "Power Management" at the top right.  Ensure that "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT clicked.  
  • Perform this same series of events on each of the USB ports which are causing issues.  

This solved my problem and I hope it solves anyone who reads this!

No Events found!