Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8920, how to change boot order priority?

I need to Restore my Dell using a cloned copy of its hard drive. To do that I need to use a CD start / recovery disc. But as WIN10 uses UEFI instead of BIOS I have a problem. 

I failed to find boot priority settings that I could change by going through this path:

• Settings (WIN10 main setttings) -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart now -> Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings -> Restart -> Aptio Setup Utility -> Boot

This last step looks very similar to the old BIOS boot setting page. But from the (blue) Boot screen there is still no obvious way to change the Boot priority - say to (1) CD drive, (2) HDD2 and then (3) HDD3.

From the Boot screen I see options:

• Boot option 1 - Wndows Boot manager
  • Boot option 2 - Onboard NIC IPV4
  • Boot option 3 - Onbaord NIC IPV6

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 20th, 2019 10:00

With the UEFI BIOS you cannot change the boot order, but what you can do is boot using the F12 Boot Menu. First make sure the booting CD is in the drive, then press F12 when you restart and as soon as you see the Dell logo screen. A boot menu should appear allowing you to select the CD drive.

January 12th, 2022 12:00

Amazing, I've just been messaged with a solution to my issue.

Consequently I've changed the monitor's HDMI cable so it now connects to the graphic card's HDMI socket. That's instead of connecting via the non-graphics-card HDMI socket.

Now when the PC starts I can readily access setup via F2 and boot options F12. I can see all UEFI options. 

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

January 13th, 2022 01:00

I've now read the Dell Setup and Specification. It says that if the PC was supplied with a discrete graphics card (as mine was) the (other) HDMI socket should be covered. Mine was not.

I recently disconnected and moved my PC when I relocated, When setting up my PC again, I put the cable into the wrong HDMI socket. All is good.

1 Message

September 5th, 2021 16:00

this didn't at all work for me.  I couldn't see a DVD/CD to choose.

What am I doing wrong?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 5th, 2021 20:00

Windows DVD drivers will require the region set before they see a DVD as bootable. Disk must be in the drive BEFORE turning power on. Secure boot must be OFF in F2 bios For F12 to display the DVD as bootable.  Sata operation must be AHCI for the DVD to be bootable and for storage devices to be seen unless you have F6 INTEL or AMD or NVIDIA pre install drivers on a USB2 FAT32 flash drive. You cannot point to an exe or zip or cab file the drivers must be extracted with 7zip or some other utility.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2021 23:00

UEFI bios doesn't show BOOT device based on number of Storage device (CD DVD hard drives) 

It only reads the device which have proper EFI files and are bootable.  

You can add your CD/DVD as a boot option

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-in/000124391/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled-windows-10-8-1-8

Above article has modern TREE BIOS and you have a single page BIOS 

BIOS > BOOT > Add a boot option

1 Message

October 1st, 2021 00:00

I'm having the same problem with my XPS8940.  I've been working with desktops for 30 years and have never had this kind of problem before.  The F12 boot menu does not show all of the bootable SATA devices I have installed in the system.  So far Dell Tech Support hasn't been able to help me either.  

1 Message

December 17th, 2021 10:00

Hello, Did You ever find a solution ?  I am trying to set my SSD drive as the first drive, with no luck . Thanks

January 10th, 2022 07:00

Same question. Did you ever find a solution?

No Events found!