silverfox456
1 Copper

How to change boot order priority of Dell XPS 8920

Jump to solution

I need to Restore my Dell using a cloned copy of its hard drive. To do that I need to use a CD start / recovery disc. But as WIN10 uses UEFI instead of BIOS I have a problem. 

I failed to find boot priority settings that I could change by going through this path:

• Settings (WIN10 main setttings) -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart now -> Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings -> Restart -> Aptio Setup Utility -> Boot

This last step looks very similar to the old BIOS boot setting page. But from the (blue) Boot screen there is still no obvious way to change the Boot priority - say to (1) CD drive, (2) HDD2 and then (3) HDD3.

From the Boot screen I see options:

• Boot option 1 - Wndows Boot manager
  • Boot option 2 - Onboard NIC IPV4
  • Boot option 3 - Onbaord NIC IPV6

Any guidance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Re: How to change boot order priority of Dell XPS 8920

Jump to solution

With the UEFI BIOS you cannot change the boot order, but what you can do is boot using the F12 Boot Menu. First make sure the booting CD is in the drive, then press F12 when you restart and as soon as you see the Dell logo screen. A boot menu should appear allowing you to select the CD drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Re: How to change boot order priority of Dell XPS 8920

Jump to solution

With the UEFI BIOS you cannot change the boot order, but what you can do is boot using the F12 Boot Menu. First make sure the booting CD is in the drive, then press F12 when you restart and as soon as you see the Dell logo screen. A boot menu should appear allowing you to select the CD drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos