Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2018 19:00

How to remove Cyberlink Power2Go & PowerDirector?

Hello all -

I have a new XPS 8930 SE with Windows 10 Pro x64.

After uninstalling most of Dell and Microsoft bloatware, I noticed two entries for the above software.

There are no entries in Programs and Features or anywhere else, to cleanly remove these softwares.

Dell support was fairly clueless on how to delete these programs and Revo Uninstaller can't find them because they are hidden and/or encrypted with a Hex string to denote name and location of the binaries. This is not a good situation. I asked Technical Support in the USA to solve the problem. No luck so far!

Why is Dell pushing me to keep these two programs, which are just Bloatware to me?

Dell and Cyberlink must have an answer on how to remove these two programs and I do not want them ripped out, leaving software debris and registry entries all over the place.

I thought to ask all of you here to help.

If a Engineer from Dell could chime in, that would be appreciated or anyone else that has a procedure.

I want my system, my way!

TIA!

Compumind :BigSmile:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 11:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tesla1856-

1. However, there is no option for uninstall.

2. The Cyberlink software among others, is located in a hidden directory:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

3. I can delete the entire folder using this small registry "program" called "Take Ownership."

Not the Pro version!

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-take-ownership-and-grant-full-control-permission-with-winownership/

4. they might be portable applications. So I need to look in the Registry and other places for left over bits of code.

5. What do you think? Are the Cyberlink programs installed or portable?

1. Are you looking in SETTINGS ? ( NOT the Legacy Control Panel)

2. Right

3. You are not suppose to have Explorer File-Level Access to this folder. Yes, I'm familiar with "TakeOwnership" and this IS NOT what it is for.

4. I doubt they are portable. For one, I saw them in the Microsoft Store (they were free).

5. I'll take a closer look later

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2018 21:00

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all -

I have a new XPS 8930 SE with Windows 10 Pro x64.

After uninstalling most of Dell and Microsoft bloatware, I noticed two entries for the above software.

There are no entries in Programs and Features or anywhere else, to cleanly remove these softwares.

I think one or both of those are Microsoft Store Apps. Apps are uninstalled from Settings.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2018 22:00

@Tesla1856-

I agree. However, there is no option for uninstall.

The Cyberlink software among others, is located in a hidden directory:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

I can delete the entire folder using this small registry "program" called "Take Ownership."

Not the Pro version!

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-take-ownership-and-grant-full-control-permission-with-winownership/

However, I can't seem to find the uninstaller for the two programs in question, leading me to believe that they might be portable applications. So I need to look in the Registry and other places for left over bits of code.

What do you think? Are the Cyberlink programs installed or portable?

Thanks for your reply! :Smile:

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 21st, 2018 09:00

Don't you want those? Otherwise, you'll need some other software to burn CD/DVDs and to watch DVDs.

You should make sure they're not running (look in Task Manager) and end them before you can uninstall. Then look on the list of currently installed programs and click Remove.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2018 12:00

Have you used process here from CyberLink site? https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16210&prodId=24&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=

Also, there is a YouTube vid on this with a link to "CleanMyPC" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMiHirGzjo). I installed and tested; it is like Revo on steroids. You may want to try it.

Good luck!

Also, I like to run CCleaner Registry Cleaner after a process like this just to be safe.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2018 13:00

@Tesla1856-

Well done!

Coming from a Windows 7 environment, I remembered that the program can also be considered an App as well. When I visited W10 Settings, they were visible and ready for uninstall, which I had done.

Now all is well!

I want to thank you for guiding me in the right direction. W10 has a learning curve, but I will make it.

No doubt about that!

Cheers! :BigSmile:

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 21st, 2018 19:00

But you didn't answer my question....

How are you going to burn CD/DVDs now or play DVDs without those 2 apps? Win 10 no longer has those capabilities built-in because Microsoft doesn't include Windows Media Center in Win 10.  You buy Media Center from their app store and it's not cheap. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2018 21:00

@RoHe-

There are a few Open Source solutions that work just fine for me. :Wink:

Cheers!

:Cool:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2018 21:00

Moderator notified.

Duplicate - please remove, thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 17:00

So you're just swapping somebody else's bloatware for Dell's Cyberlink bloatware.   :Stickouttongue:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 19:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@RoHe-

There are a few Open Source solutions that work just fine for me. :Wink:

Right. I use:

ImgBurn : Burning CD/DVD (even Audio CDs from .WAV files)
VLC: Playing video files (even \VIDEO_TS\ folders )

But what do you use to rip CD tracks with proper file-names and ID3-Tags embedded?  (by Gracenote or similar real-time lookup)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 20:00

@RoHe wrote:

So you're just swapping somebody else's bloatware for Dell's Cyberlink bloatware.   :Stickouttongue:

Not sure about these programs, but I still have a purpose-for and run Cyberlink's PowerDVD. Lots of software will basically play a DVDs (so no big deal), but PowerDVD is the only software I have that will play an actual BluRay Disc in Windows.

My version will also decode all DD-5.1/DTS tracks from an actual DVD disc.

October 5th, 2020 11:00

Revo Uninstaller is the best for removing programs and apps as well as their files and folders that are distributed throughout your computer. Check it out and you will never use the windows built in uninstaller ever again.

May 4th, 2021 01:00

Great!

No Events found!