Start a Conversation

Unsolved

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 23:00

Is this a good trick to avoid Windows 10 repair

On one pc I had there is periodic boot freeze due to the chipset quirk.

if it freezes on Windows 10 logo or just blank screen after Dell logo passed (post is complete), I just shut it down and turn it on again by pressing power button.

but if I press the button too soon, windows 10 automatic repair screen shows, which I know is futile and waste of time.

my trick is to shut down again. Wait a few more seconds then press power on again.  This has worked for me a couple of times because I am able to fool the AI into forgetting there was a problem starting Windows.  I was able to initiate a normal smooth Win 10 boot load.

I wonder whether it is a timing issue to wait and avoid the Windows automatic repair.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 09:00

Re: I haven't seen that run on any of my Windows systems in many years.

I have seen it not infrequently when user hard powers down Windows 10 for any freeze which is not limited to one Dell model.  I think it is a built in AI of Windows to think Uhmm windows was not shut down properly last time there must be something wrong so let me tell user to wait patiently while I try to figure it out do some repair, and 9.9 out of 10 times either I could not repair or taking forever in circling dots.  I wish Windows 7 were back with better security as boot into Win 7 was such a fresh breeze back then.  Win 10 although powerful is at times a pain in butt.  And I think Win 7 desktop splash screen is better looking too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 09:00

No, I don't think so.

AFAIK, the auto Repair only runs when it detects soft-disk-errors (open files due to improper closure) or maybe just a high-probability of open-files.

Regardless, you should let it run.

And then, work on why it is happening in the first place. I haven't seen that run on any of my Windows systems in many years.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 4th, 2022 11:00

@redxps630 wrote:

Re: I haven't seen that run on any of my Windows systems in many years.

I have seen it not infrequently when user hard powers down Windows 10 for any freeze which is not limited to one Dell model.  

That would explain it as I have not had to do that either to any of my Windows-10/Windows-11 Dell/Lenovo desktops or laptops in many years either. 

For things to regress to that final step would mean that Windows has lost complete control over the hardware. Not sure if it's Windows-10/11 or just that most/all of my computers are UEFI-based now-days but I'm just not seeing it.

Worst case, I can still get to the Task Manager and Shut-Down cleanly (but even needing to do that is a rare event). 

No Events found!