Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

January 19th, 2020 05:00

KM717, Caps Lock & Num Lock LED problem

I really like the KM717 Dell Premier Wireless Keyboard and Mouse combo but I do have just 1 problem. I use it in USB mode (as opposed to Bluetooth mode) on Win10 Desktop PC and tried it on Win7 on a laptop too.

But the Caps Lock Light and the Num Lock light go to sleep after about 7 SECONDS. Very annoying because you can't tell whether the Caps &/or Num lock is on or off.

Has anyone seen this issue or know a solution, please? I rang Dell about this and they had no workable answer. But I did find something about a setting in control panel in HID devices to disable the power saving mode on the device... but it made no difference. Any tips greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 19th, 2020 13:00

I suspect those go off to save power.

Have you tried setting notifications for those features in Windows?  When you press CAP LOCK, the system beeps a high note when it's turning CAP LOCK on, and a lower note when the key press is turning CAP LOCK off.

And same thing for NUM LOCK.

Look for the option to "Use Toggle Keys" on the Keyboard settings screen in Win 10. 

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 05:00

I am getting this exact same problem since updating the firmware 

It is incredibly annoying.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 18th, 2020 11:00

@DJArcus  -  Well, the firmware update page you linked does say: "Improved power optimization..." which might mean that those LEDs will now be set to go off after a few seconds.

Did you try making the changes I suggested above using Toggle Keys in Win 10?

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 14:00

It would be very odd if turning those lights off is a power saving thing - considering it happens when I’m using the keyboard. It’s not like it only happens if I leave the keyboard for some time. I also don’t imagine the lights use much power, in fact I didn’t have any power issues prior to the firmware upgrade.

Tried the on screen display but it’s frankly rubbish and I turned that off.

Would much prefer if the lights on the keyboard behaved as they used to, certainly feels like a glitch in the firmware update.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 18th, 2020 17:00

@DJArcus  - I don't think it's that odd.  My previous wireless Logitech mouse had 3 tiny green LEDs on the side that went off, one by one, until the last one turned red and mouse had to be recharged. I recently replaced it with a new Logitech mouse with the same 3 LEDs, except these turn on for a few seconds to show the battery level when the mouse is first turned on and then go off, according to the instructions "to save power".

There are a number of apps that put a cap and number lock indicator on the taskbar, like TrayStatus (free) and Keyboard Indicator (free) which you could try. There are probably other ones too.

Post back and let us know if you try either and how they work...

CAVEAT: I've never used these apps and know nothing about them. So using them is your own decision.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2020 02:00

I think I'll pass on the apps, I don't get on with on screen displays when I am so used to checking the lights.

I paired the keyboard to a spare receiver running 0.0.0.9 and the lights work fine, so it is something with the 0.0.1.2 update on the receiver.

I'll be honest I don't know why you don't think this is odd? There's zero point in the light if it turns itself off after such a short period of time. It's also clearly a change in behavior driven by the version of firmware on the receiver.

EDIT: It works completely fine on Bluetooth so is some oddity with the receiver.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 19th, 2020 12:00

Didn't say I liked having those LEDs turn off, just that the OEMs are doing that now.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 19th, 2020 18:00

I pinged by Dell tech contact...

1 Message

March 12th, 2020 05:00

Do you mean that before updating that firmware you didn't have this problem ? Did your LED light stayed on when caps lock was active ?

I start to use the KM717 keyboard since 2 weeks on Dell Precision Tower 5820 that has been updated on 15/02/2020 and I have this problem since the beginning of use. I hope it's just a metter of new update to solve this problem, because it is a big mistake for such a good product.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 12th, 2020 10:00

I pinged my Dell tech contact again today...

1 Message

April 1st, 2020 15:00

Hi guys, 

I’ve the same problem. Since the first and and also with new firmware...

Any new tips to fix that problem?

i hate it 

thx 

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 02:00

I have just purchased 2 KM7120W (keyboard and mouse sets) and have exactly the same problem! After an hour on the phone to someone in the Philippines - quite frankly it would have been easier to communicate with someone on the moon - I have decided the only thing to do is return them for a refund. Dell support is appalling and I will not buy any products from them again.

August 28th, 2020 04:00

Hi

I am having the exact same problem and its very annoying. The solution you mentioned does not work at all.

I have a dell laptop and the CAPS lock does not go off until pressed again. This auto off on CAPS lock is feature is a bad one.

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 06:00

Hi,

This worked for me:

1. Install Dell Universal Receiver Control Panel

2. Remove (unlink) the keyboard from the panel (red button 'Remove device')

3. Re-add the keyboard.

As for now - LEDs are working properly for couple hours.

November 9th, 2020 11:00

Does this solution still work for you @artfro? I just tried it but there's no change in LED behaviour on my WK717 keyboard

Would you mind sharing which keyboard you are using?  What's the keyboard firmware version?

Anyone else have this solution work for them?  Anything special that needs to be done to actually have this work?  Would love to fix this issue too.

Thanks,

Harry

No Events found!