Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2018 15:00

My XPS 8900 not seeing my 2 hard drives in the bios

Hi,

I have 2 NVMe Samsung 950 drives 1 installed on the motherboard and 1 installed on a card that plugs in the motherboard. The bios doesn't see them but windows 10 does. How can I fix this problem, I have the latest bios installed.

thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 15th, 2018 15:00

I would try a BIOS reset.  But, before you do that, note any BIOS customizations you did as you will have to reset them after the BIOS reset.

#22 on the motherboard is the BIOS reset jumper, or with the PC powered off you can remove the CR2032 backup battery for at least 10 minutes to reset the BIOS.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 15th, 2018 17:00

M.2 is a form factor for SSDs. Not all M.2 SSDs are the same or compatible. it is difficult from the specifications of the XPS 8900 to determine what type of M.2 SSD is compatible/required. I don't think you can assume that the NVMe Samsung 950 will work.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 17th, 2018 09:00

It would be helpful if you explained how you fixed your problem since it may benefit others with a similar problem.

4.4K Posts

March 17th, 2018 09:00

I fixed my problem.

thanks

4.4K Posts

March 17th, 2018 11:00

I never installed the factory software just did a Acronis backup of the drive. I then restored it to my NVMe drive.

What I did was plug in the factory hard drive that came with the 8900 and set it up and loaded win 10 and all the updates. Then I went to the bios and selected boot options, windows boot manager was selected  and now I had a choice to pick a hard drive. Once I picked the hard drive and saved the setting and booted to windows the NVMe  was the drive. I then went in the bios and pick windows boot manager and the factory drive boots up.

I went and hit F12 on boot up and ran diag and now it finds the PCIE drive which it didn't before.

No Events found!