Start a Conversation

Unsolved

PP

4 Posts

July 25th, 2020 14:00

New XPS dead on arrival

New desktop will not power on. Tried everything and no lights on box. Called tech support and they say TAG does not exist .... this is not good customer experience and advice? 

358 Posts

July 25th, 2020 14:00

Hi, @pc paul ,

Have you tried entering the Tag into the Dell Support Site?? 

Also, what information do you get if you enter the Order Number into their Dell Order Checking Site?? 

Hopefully, Dell will eventually cross-check these two!!

4 Posts

July 25th, 2020 15:00

Hi thanks for your suggestion. Yes i did try to enter into the support tool but says the tag does not exist. It makes no sense how new system would not be set up

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 25th, 2020 16:00

@pc paul 

If it is brand new, it may take some time to get the service tag into the system. What computer did you get, and what components (CPU, graphics card, PSU, RAM)? Is there no flashing LED on the power button? Are you sure your surge protector strip is working?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@RoHe    EDIT: @Dell630i  typed faster than I did, but we said and asked similar things..

It never hurts to ask twice for information that should have been provided proactively  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Always include exact PC model in your posts.

No offense, but sure you're reading the Service Tag correctly? (Don't post Service Tag here.) Easy to confuse the letter O and a zero, or Y with V, etc. etc.  And it typically takes ~7-10 days for a Service Tag to be entered into the database, and that's in "normal" times, which these aren't.

On occasion, things unfortunately do get jarred out of place during shipping...

Does this PC use a power adapter or a "regular" 110V power cord? Either way, are you sure it's plugged in correctly to PC and into a known working wall outlet? If using a surge protector or power strip, remove those and plug PC directly in a working outlet.

If it's a desktop that uses a regular 110V power cord, there may be a PSU power indicator LED on rear of PC. Is that on or off when plugged into the wall?  And there may also be a PSU Built-In Self Test (BIST) button next to that LED, so read this.

EDIT: @Anonymous typed faster than I did, but we said and asked similar things.. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 25th, 2020 18:00

Did you press the BIST button next to that LED?

Did you try disconnecting everything except mouse, monitor and keyboard?

You probably need to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.  Have the Service Tag handy, but don't post it here.

Don't know your experience or capabilities, but you might open the case and check all the connections to the motherboard, especially the power connectors, and check if RAM modules and PCI-e cards are correctly/fully seated in their slots, front panel connectors, etc. See the Service Manual for details about all these connectors.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Assuming you are comfortable with doing this, I would take the side panel off the case and swing-out the power supply and check for loose connections. Here is a link to the Service Manual: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8930-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

See the sections on removing the side panel and removing the power supply (to rotate the power supply unit cage away from the chassis). 

4 Posts

Hi thanks for responses 

I did plug into a known working socket and nothing happened on the unit except for the green light at the back near power socket came on few seconds .... no lights front or any sounds on pressing the power button 

spec 

XPS 8930
XPS 8930 Base
Processor
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-9100 (4-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 4.2GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English
Windows AutoPilot
No Windows AutoPilot
Memory
16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
Keyboard
Black Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard (English)
Driver
DW1810 driver
Hard Drive
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)
Wireless
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
Cable
US Power Cord
Monitor
If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
Mouse
6 Button Laser Mouse
CD ROM/DVD ROM
Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Sound
Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro
Speakers
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Documentation/Disks
Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)
Systems Management
Windows System driver, XPS 8930
Placemat
Windows 10 Placemat
Retail Software
Dell.com Order
Chassis Options
460 Watt Power Supply
Support Tech Sheet and Powercord
Dell.com Order
Packaging
Direct Shipping
Optical Software
Cyberlink Media Suite Essentials without Media
Configuration Type
Custom Configuration
Label
Regulatory Label
Processor Branding
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor Label
Hardware Support Services
1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis
Microsoft Application Software
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Security Software
McAfee® Small Business Security 12 Month Subscription
Additional Software
Additional Software
Operating System Recovery Options
Operating System Recovery Media Not 

258 Posts

July 26th, 2020 09:00

@pc paul 

Inspect and confirm the internal assembly.  If it still doesn't turn on, call Dell to return it as DOA.  Refuse to have it fixed onsite... that wasn't the deal and this is not the time for visitors.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2020 12:00

Interestingly, on the Dell web site, I could not configure an XPS 8930 with a i3-9100 processor, let alone a GT 1030 graphics card.

They are really pushing the XPS 8940 hard. Note that I have "9th Gen Intel Core" selected, and the result is two 10th Gen 8940's  

image.png

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 13:00

Odd that Dell paired a pascal card with a 9th gen CPU.  I'm guessing this was purchased at the end of 2018, or beginning of 2019 (when they still has pascal stock) or that this was from the Dell outlet.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 13:00

Was this purchased from Dell, or a third party?  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 16:00

Ah, I see it now.  It's the latter - delloutlet.com.  i3-9100 or 8th gen cpu + 1030 or onboard only. Starting at $478. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2020 16:00

@r72019 

It reflects "Dell.com Order" in the posted spec list. But you are right . . . could be the Outlet. I don't see any notation of "Refurbished" . . . not that they would admit it 

4 Posts

July 26th, 2020 18:00

Hi all - resolved the issue the power supply cable had disconnected! 

not what you expect for a new system

No Events found!