Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

11 Posts

February 1st, 2019 14:00

XPS 8700, power button does not work, #2

I've noticed the last few times I've shut down my computer and gone to start it up in the morning, The power button needed a few tries to actually work. Today it just won't turn on at all. I've tried unplugging the power cord for 20 mins, pushing fast, slow, etc. and nothing.

There's still an orange light on my motherboard, so I'm not sure that's the culprit. Should I change the battery? (I never have) or does anyone have any other ideas that won't cost $300.00 (what I was quoted)

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 1st, 2019 16:00

Always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts. :Idea:

The orange LED on the motherboard is perfectly normal and should be on 24/7 whenever the PC is connected to a working outlet. It means the motherboard is getting "flea power", but that's not enough power to boot the PC.

Could be an ailing power supply or possibly a failing power button on the front. Does the button light up when pressed even if PC doesn't boot? What color is it and steady or blinking?

If your PC has a power supply indicator LED on rear of the system, is it green or off when PC doesn't boot?  If you have a power supply test button near that LED, press it and fans should spin for at least 3-5 sec.

11 Posts

February 1st, 2019 18:00

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have an XPS 8700, i7 4790 3.60ghz and Windows 8.1

When I push the button, nothing happens. No light.

and the back also has no green, but there is a spot for it.

*UPDATE*

I pressed the button rapidly for about 10 seconds and It came on.

The power button light is blue and there's a green light on in the back.

I know this isn't a fix, so I'd definitely like to get to the bottom of it, as I'm afraid to turn it off now.

Any further suggestions would really appreciated.

Thanks

798 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 02:00

@JONNNNNNN wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have an XPS 8700, i7 4790 3.60ghz and Windows 8.1

When I push the button, nothing happens. No light.

and the back also has no green, but there is a spot for it.

*UPDATE*

I pressed the button rapidly for about 10 seconds and It came on.

The power button light is blue and there's a green light on in the back.

I know this isn't a fix, so I'd definitely like to get to the bottom of it, as I'm afraid to turn it off now.

Any further suggestions would really appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8500-wont-boot-Solved/m-p/7192820#M21782

If you have some contact cleaner spray that gently onto the contacts of the power button once you remove the front bezel and top cover.  

Front bezel is removed by taking the side cover off first and gently lifting the side tabs to allow the front bezel to swing off.  The top cover is removed by pulling on a lever on the underside of the top of the chassis.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8500_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

11 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 12:00

Thanks a lot. I'll give this a try.

1 Message

July 16th, 2020 07:00

Hey I am facing the same issue, Did you find the solution?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 16th, 2020 10:00

@xmbron  - Always include exact PC model in your posts.

Does the PSU LED turn on? If using a surge protector or power strip, remove those and plug PC directly into a working outlet.

Did you try any of the suggestions posted above, like carefully using contact cleaner, or replacing the power button module?

No Events found!