Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

December 4th, 2020 21:00

Studio XPS 8100, SDD added, HDD failure message

XPS 8100 1.5 tb HDD, Win 10. I added second 500 gb SSD, partitioned, formatted, and named

Upon booting I get “hard disc drive failure press F2 to resume”.

I press F2, exit the screen without saving and it continues to boot normally.

Windows see the new drive and I can copy files to it.

if I then disconnect the D drive, restart,  then it boots normally again.

if I reconnect the new drive I get same error again.

I eventually want the SSD to be primary but want to fix the error first.

Any suggestions to fix the issue? Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2020 02:00

windows gets confused when you have 2 drives with boot sector and recovery and and and and and

If the 2nd drive is just for data erase it and format it EXFAT

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 04:00

@BobZ5857 Check the Boot Device Configuration in the BIOS and make sure that the 1st Boot Device is your 1.5TB hard drive.

6 Posts

December 5th, 2020 07:00

Thanks for response. I agree with your logic and checked and the 1st boot drive listed

has the HHD name the same as the one listed for the 1.5 TB drive in Device Manager.

I had one open SATA port, labeled as "4" and that is where the new drive is was connected.

Since the new SSD was just aprtitioned and formatted, it does appear that the PC is trying to boot from there and if I exit and do not save do I assume that it somehow knows to go to the 1.5TB drive??

Thanks again

6 Posts

December 5th, 2020 08:00

The new drive was just partitioned, formatted and labeled as

there is no recovery partition.  No OS installed. 

I will try your suggestion.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 09:00

@BobZ5857 I am not sure how it knows to go to the 1.5TB drive. Can you run Disk Management (Windows key + R to open Run, then type diskmgmt.msc) and see if the partition on the SSD is listed simply as 'Healthy (Basic Data Partition)'?

6 Posts

December 5th, 2020 11:00

Disk MGT:

Simple,Basic,Healthy(primary Partition),465GB, 100% free

The BIOS only lists the 1.5TB HDD as a boot choice

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 13:00

@BobZ5857 Take a look at this post: https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/Studio-XPS-8100-fails-to-boot-when-you-change-from-RAID-to-ATA/td-p/3514477

Your problem sounds like the issue AstroCry in the post is describing, but unfortunately, there does not seem to be a solution. The post mentions the RAID Configuration BIOS but I am not familiar with that.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

That's why we need to know how BIOS is set in @BobZ5857 PC. In that other thread, the user changed BIOS without considering the impact it would have on Windows which was installed with BIOS set to RAID (default on this PC model).

The other issue is whether SATA options are either RAID or RAID Autodetect/ATA or if there's a RAID Autodetect/AHCI option.

I don't know if SSDs will work properly with ATA which lacks features in AHCI.  And it doesn't help that Dell only supported Win 7 on this model and the last BIOS update was in 2010,  ~5 years before Win 10 came out.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

@BobZ5857

Is Windows Boot Manager set as first boot option in BIOS? If not, make it so. Does that solve the boot issue?

Is BIOS set to AHCI or RAID? Don't change it, at least not right now.

With both drives connected, power on and immediately start tapping F12. When the F12 menu opens, select the option to boot from the HDD and see if that works.

You need to settle the AHCI vs RAID issue (easy), if necessary, before you can do this to set up the SSD as the boot drive.

With both drives connected, boot from the HDD via F12 and use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone the HDD onto the new SSD, deleting any partitions you already created on the SSD.

When that's done, boot from the SSD using the F12 menu to select it. When you're certain PC boots from the SSD via F12, use Disk Management to initialize the HDD (ALL FILES DELETED!) and then reboot normally. Your SSD should now be the boot drive and the HDD can be used for storage.

6 Posts

December 6th, 2020 07:00

Thanks for your help....

I just confirmed with 2 people at Dell that my system BIOS is just too old too support SSD as a primary drive.

Bob

6 Posts

December 6th, 2020 15:00

I contacted Dell sales and asked about their SSD’s and they said the SSD were not compatible with my old Bios.

I appreciate your time to answer and thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 6th, 2020 16:00

@BobZ5857 I agree with @RoHe. I found these posts on the Internet of folks that successfully upgraded to an SSD in the Studio XPS 8100:

https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/XPS8100-upgrade-to-SSD/td-p/5160449

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dell-studio-xps-8100-upgrade-to-ssd.2287161/

The only difference from your case is that in both these cases, the SSD was the boot drive.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 6th, 2020 16:00

@BobZ5857  - I suspect BIOS won't support an SSD...but their tech support may say an SSD isn't supported because Dell has just never tested an SSD in this PC model...

Since you already have the SSD, go into BIOS setup and tell us which of these 3 options you have for SATA Mode and how it's set now, but don't change the current setting:

• RAID
  • RAID Autodetect/ATA
  • RAID Autodetect/AHCI

That is, if you're willing to look a little deeper...

No Events found!