Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 20th, 2019 13:00

Studio XPS 435MT, replacing PSU?

I'm having trouble booting up my Dell Studio XPS 435 MT... pressing the power button on the tower no longer has any effect. There is still a green light at the back of the tower indicating it is receiving power. I believe I might need to replace the Power Supply Unit, but I'm not too tech savvy and want to ensure I get a compatible replacement part. I understand it needs 4x SATA connectors, but that's about the extent of my limited understanding. I'm located in Canada so hoping for help with a Canadian retailer...

Would one of these Corsair PSUs from NewEgg work?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007656%204814%20600053800%201100676578&IsNodeId=1&Description=corsair%20power%20supply&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=36

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 20th, 2019 17:00

It would be a waste of money to replace the psu on this 10 year old Win 7 computer. No guarantee that the power supply is bad. It might be something else. Put the money towards a new computer.

One thought- have you ever replaced the cmos battery? That would be a cheap fix. Check your manual for the right model coin cell battery. 

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-435_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

3 Posts

January 20th, 2019 20:00

OK thank you for your response Mary. I will try replacing the CMOS battery...

EDIT: I tried replacing it and it did not work :S

3 Posts

January 20th, 2019 21:00

If the replacement PSU is as cheap as the ones referenced on NewEgg ($60) I'd be very happy to get this system running again... any guidance on picking a correct replacement PSU would be so greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 21st, 2019 04:00

If I was looking for a replacement power supply I would find the model number of the existing power supply. You can try entering your Service Tag at www.dell.com/support and looking at the System configuration / Original configuration or open the case and look at the power supply for a model number. You can then use eBay and search 'power supply for Dell Studio XPS 435MT'; you will find power supplies from around $30 to $40.

While on the Dell support site you can also download the service manual which shows you how to replace the power supply.

1 Rookie

• 

152 Posts

January 21st, 2019 05:00

I doubt if the problem is the power supply.  The MT series generate a lot of heat and likely some of your capacitors probably went bad.  If you have access to a voltmeter check the voltage on one of the older sata connectors (most probes fit easily into the older satas).  There should be 5 and 12 volts.  If bad, just about any 500watt or better will work.  I posted a picture here of what a  bad cap looks like on my junked XPS-435MT motherboard.  I have replaced dozens of caps over the years but it is not worth the effort on this board.  Check your messages, I will try to send you a pm.

[EDIT] FWIW, that capacitor is rated at 105c temperature which indicates how hot it gets down there.  Too bad the MTS cannot use low power Xeons.  I tried getting one to work but it didn't.

67 Posts

January 26th, 2019 03:00

The XPS 435MT is my home computer even now!

When you plug this to the wall power supply, do you also see an amber light on the motherboard?

It is visible from the grille on the right side. 

[I operate the computer with the left panel/ cover removed - I can easily see the amber light.]

February 5th, 2019 02:00

I am having a similar issue with my 435MT not waking from sleep properly.  This was a well discussed issue back in 2011/12, e.g. https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Studio-XPS-435MT-wont-power-on/m-p/3803686.

Like you, I changed the CMOS battery, but to no effect.  I am looking to replace my PSU with a new Corsair CX450 based on advice in various community forums, but am not sure about the fan position (as per another post).

As for Mary G's comment about this being a waste of time, I had similar thoughts, but believe in trying repair vs replace and it could be £60 (I am in the UK) well spent.

Let me know how you get on.

G

10 Posts

March 27th, 2019 23:00

Do you hear a series of beeps comping from the computer when the start button is pressed? The beeps will come in segmented dashes and dots. It's a diagnostic 'beep' code that address the area where the problem is. Count the number of dots and dashes. It should repeat itself.

A long quiet space and a new series of beeps means there's more areas that need attention. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 1st, 2019 11:00

CX450 is TOO SMALL and does not have enough combined power on the 3.3v /5v rails.

1 Message

August 25th, 2019 13:00

Anyone have success with replacing the PSU on the 435MT? Any recommendations on which PSU works?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 25th, 2019 13:00

No those will not work.

Bare Minimum recommended replacement is evga 700BR

You must have 150W combined on the 3.3v/5v rails or its not working.

700 B2 BQ G2 W1 N1 from the same vendor do not work.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-700w-atx12v-eps12v-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-dc-dc-technology-black/6346160.p?skuId=6346160

No Events found!