Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

8 Posts

July 8th, 2020 17:00

SA pops up every time computer starts

Dell XPS 8920

I had a power outage back in February and my computer struggled to turn back on, but I eventually got it to work. Since then, Dell SupportAssist will pop up every time I start my computer. Usually, it never finds a problem, but occasionally it will say it can't find a boot device, but will boot up just fine. How can I stop it from popping up every single time I turn my computer on? I've tried googling and scouring forums but couldn't find a solution.

Similarly, I wanted to update my Bios to see if that would help, but when I click on "download file", nothing happens. I've tried 3 different browsers and incognito mode.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2020 16:00

@Vic384 Switching it to UEFI worked! Thank you for your advice/help!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 8th, 2020 20:00

@mukario 

Uninstall Support Assist.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 9th, 2020 04:00

This appears to be the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tool. Here is some information about the tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVIuJAUCNU

I don't know what is triggering the tool from starting, but there are two settings in the BIOS that a least may be able stop the tool from starting. The settings are under Advanced BIOS Features, then SupportAssist System Resolution. The two settings are Auto OS Recovery Threshold and SupportAssist OS Recovery.  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

SupportAssist OS Recovery is different than the SupportAssist application.

8 Posts

July 9th, 2020 05:00

@Vic384 I tried that, I set the OS Recovery to Disabled and the threshold to off. The OS Recovery still popped up when I saved and restarted the computer. https://i.ibb.co/h8V0Bvw/IMG-6232.jpg https://i.ibb.co/0ftFhWr/IMG-6233.jpg

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 9th, 2020 10:00

You also indicated that you could not download the BIOS file. Do you have problems downloading other files?

Have you tried the System File Checker (/sfc scannow)?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 9th, 2020 11:00

@Vic384 wrote:

You also indicated that you could not download the BIOS file. Do you have problems downloading other files?

Have you tried the System File Checker (/sfc scannow)?

sfc /scannow    

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 9th, 2020 13:00

Sorry, sometimes I type too fast.

8 Posts

July 9th, 2020 19:00

I was able to download the Bios .exe today (not sure why any downloads wouldn't work yesterday), but it says "1.0.22 version is protected, cannot flash to 1.0.15 version". So I guess my Bios is up to date.

When I go to my system info, it says my Bios mode is UEFI. But when I hit F2 at startup, it says my Bios mode is Legacy. Someone suggested I switch it to UEFI, but I read that it will wipe the computer. Is that something I should try after I back everything up?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 10th, 2020 04:00

What program are you running to get your system info? If you have not made any changes to the BIOS setting from when you received the computer from Dell, the Boot Option List should show [UEFI], Secure Boot should be [Enabled], Load Legacy Option Rom should be [Disabled], and Boot Option #1 should be [Windows Boot Manager}.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2020 07:00

This system info. https://i.ibb.co/jZwZycX/info.png I never changed any setting and it says Legacy when I hit F2, could the power outage I had have changed that? Because I've never touched the Bios settings before.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 10th, 2020 08:00

I suggest you try the 'Clearing CMOS settings' procedure in the service manual since the power outage apparently changed your settings. If that does not work, I suggest you change the Boot List Option to UEFI and make sure Boot Option #1 under Boot Option Priorities is Windows Boot Manager. I would also change Secure Boot to Enabled.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2020 10:00

Will that wipe my computer and I'll have to reinstall Windows?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Why would you even try to install BIOS 1.0.15 if you already have BIOS 1.0.22?

Clearing BIOS won't make you reinstall Windows, but back up your files first or image the entire drive with Macrium Reflect (free) first, to be safe. And replace the motherboard battery while you're doing it.

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall fresh battery (CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2)
  6. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

@mukario If there is no compelling reason to update the BIOS I would stay as far away from doing that as possible.

@RoHe I see your recommended method for clearing the BIOS alot. Is there a reason your method is preferred over the method in the service manual?

No Events found!