Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

15 Posts

April 7th, 2019 02:00

XPS 27-7760 AIO, not compatible with Oculus Rift!

Hi everyone

I am the proud owner of a Dell XPS 27 7760 AOI desk top. I love this machine.

BUT - one of the reasons I purchased it was to eventually use VR games with an Oculus Rift device. But, this XPS 27-7760 AIO is not compatible with Oculus Rift despite the marketing which claims full compatibility.

As noted on the website - it claims full compatibility and a fantastic VR experience: 

"Experience virtual reality on the XPS 27 All-in-one, now Ready for VR. Built with advanced Polaris graphics, a beautiful 4K display and the best sound in an all-in-one, the XPS 27 provides an immersive VR experience.Select configurations meet the recommended specifications to power an ideal VR experience with either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headsets. XPS PCs with the Ready for VR logo power the best VR experience today.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-27-touch/spd/xps-27-7760-aio/fdcwduckbl404daos

Last weekend, I finally purchased an Oculus Rift and to my disbelief - it didn't work with the machine. The headset wasn't recognized. I contacted Oculus and they wrote the following:

Damien
 (Oculus Support)
Apr 6, 4:44 AM PDT
Hey David,
Thank you for letting us know that you are using a Dell Inc. XPS 7760 All In One system. You are correct that the issue is how your system uses the switchable graphics configuration between an Intel and AMD Radeon cards. Due to this we do not support this type of system with the Rift.
Regards,
Damien
Oculus Support
++

When I explained the problem to a Dell technician, I was told to return the headset for a refund. I explained this wasn't an acceptable solution. The Dell technician then agreed and said that Dell needed to remove the compatibility claim from the website. I again said that this wasn't an acceptable solution. Dell has sold thousands of these units on the basis of this VR-compatibility claim and they need to deliver on this promise. 

I look forward to a rapid technical solution to this issue to be proposed by Dell.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 14th, 2019 09:00

If a Vive headset and Windows Mixed Reality headsets work on the system, to me, it would seem to be a failure of the Oculus folks to make their headsets compatible.

I don't know what model of the Rift is being discussed but I see there is an Oculus Rift S coming in the Spring of 2019.  Maybe that one would work and you could trade in your current one and not lose that money.

I also see the Oculus Rift is no longer available in the U.S.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2019 13:00

I haven't gotten a response either...

Re-enable Switchable Graphics in BIOS and Intel HD Graphics in Device Manager, if not already done, and reboot if necessary. Then look at this to see if you can configure switchable graphics in the AMD control panel to work with the Oculus.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017

April 15th, 2019 00:00

Awesome thanks....I will try this. Pretty sure this was the first thing I had tried - but I didn't gave this guidance at the time. I will go through it step by step and see if it works. Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 15th, 2019 14:00

Let's back up...

Where are you located (USA or..?) and when/where did you you order this 2016 model PC?

According to my Dell tech contact, this model can no longer be configured on the site, so there's no way to see exactly what configuration may have been required "to meet the recommended specifications" to power a Rift VR headset. So it's not clear that what you bought actually met those requirements. And your experience would suggest otherwise.

When my contact searched Dell's internal docs, no articles were found that mention using an XPS 27-7760 with an Oculus Rift headset.

The only internal Dell docs that discuss Rift headsets are for: Alienware Laptops 13 R3/15 R3/17 R4; Alienware Desktops X51-R3/Area 51-R2/R3/R4; Inspiron Laptops G5/G7; and Inspiron Desktop 5675.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 16th, 2019 07:00

@RoHeThe sales page for the system did say it could use the Vive or Oculus Rift.  There is something about the version of the headset which will not work, thus the response from Oculus.

The entire products page regarding the All-in-Ones has been changed and the XPS version has been removed.  There is now an Inspiron version which was not listed before.

Dell made an assumption that by testing the Vive, the Oculus would also work.  It is a logical assumption, but something was different about the Rift which did not quite work.  As I mentioned, maybe the Rift S model will work but no way for me to know.

By the way, the products page for the Inspiron versions still show the VR icon next to some of the systems but no claims as to what VR headsets will or will not work are made.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 16th, 2019 12:00

It said selected configurations support the Rift, but it doesn't specify what those were.

I only know which PC models support the Rift according to Dell internal docs, based on what my tech contact told me. Have no idea what may have changed either in the config of this PC model, or the headset, or why...

April 16th, 2019 23:00

Indeed but I went for the top of the line configuration so if this configuration isn’t compatible - what is ?

April 17th, 2019 00:00

Thanks for this additional information. In my mind, Dell made a clear claim when I purchased the PC that it would work with the Oculus Rift specifically. It was all over the marketing for this unit and I purchased the best configuration at the time. It is now for Dell to honor this compatibility claim as it was a material part of my decision to buy this specific PC. Dell is a good company and I am a loyal customer. I know they will come through to find a solution for those of us having this problem. Returning the Oculus Rift or changing the compatibility claim now are not acceptable resolutions.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 17th, 2019 11:00

You didn't answer my question...where/when did you buy this PC, in the US from the Dell US sales site, or...? And what version of BIOS is running?

Just because you bought the "best configuration" that doesn't mean it's a compatible configuration.

How do we know this is Dell's fault? Suppose Dell tested with Rift "v1" and then Oculus changed their hardware and/or software and it's no longer compatible? And keep in mind, since you bought this PC, there have been innumerable updates for Win 10, for Intel chipset and HD Graphics drivers, and for AMD video drivers too. Any one of them could contribute to this situation.  It's easy for Oculus to point the finger at somebody else...

Yes, this is unfortunate but I don't work for Dell and I don't know what/if they can do anything about this. My tech contact said he didn't find any internal docs related to using the 7760 with Rift, so he isn't able to help...

Maybe you should return or sell the Rift and try another VR headset...

April 20th, 2019 00:00

The odd thing here is that Dell has been completely silent on this. This has been a pending claim for over a month now - and they haven't offered any formal resolution. It is baffling. I'm running the latest dell bios and also the latest amd vbios. As mentioned, when I bought the machine - this was the claim "Experience virtual reality on the XPS 27 All-in-one, now Ready for VR.Built with advanced Polaris graphics, a beautiful 4K display and the best sound in an all-in-one, the XPS 27 provides an immersive VR experience.Select configurations meet the recommended specifications to power an ideal VR experience with either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headsets. XPS PCs with the Ready for VR logo power the best VR experience today." This is taken from the Dell website. It is still on the site today: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-27-7760-aio?view=configurations As mentioned, I have tested the machine using the Oculus minimum specs app - and it is fully compliant. It meets all of the recommended specs. The problem is clearly the switchable graphics. I still find it astonishing that Dell hasn't replied directly to this thread. They clearly know something is wrong with their bogus marketing and that they are going to have to issue some kind of software patch.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 20th, 2019 11:00

This is mainly a user-to-user forum, not direct contact with Dell tech support. I alerted my Dell tech contact to this thread and posted what he said in his response to me, so you'll have to accept that as an official answer.

For all we know, the "compatible" configuration had a different video card on the motherboard and/or an older version of BIOS. Microsoft updates continually break things that previously worked (eg, video and audio) but Dell has no control over what they do.

I'm afraid you're beating a dead horse.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 21st, 2019 18:00

Had a follow-up with my Dell tech contact. You're apparently not in the USA and this is Dell's USA forum. I did ask you that several times but you ignored the question. So, you need to contact Dell Tech Support for your region, here: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/contact/ench?c=ch&l=de

April 21st, 2019 22:00

Thanks. I started with dell Europe and so far they have not been helpful. They are the ones that said to simply return the rift and that they would update the website to remove the compatibility claim. Dell Europe also scanned the Dell Us community support site for potential solutions to this problem - so clearly Dell uses the support pages in different parts of the world as a global solution resource. If they do it - it would tend to mean I also have the right to do it. Anyway - I will post in the European support page and wait again for some kind of resolution which feels less and less likely.

April 21st, 2019 22:00

Thanks. Dell got in touch with me through this forum asking for my service tag and claiming they would be in touch with me within 24 hours. I never heard back from them. In my mind - blaming Microsoft or Oculus is complete BS. Dell needs to support their products for the lifetime of the warranty including compatibility claims. They claimed this machine was ideal for an excellent VR experience with the oculus rift. I’m still waiting for that experience and won’t let this die so easily.
No Events found!