Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

October 18th, 2018 05:00

XPS One 2720, boot problem

Windows 8.1. BIOS latest version

Recently, I replace the 2TB HDD with a new one. I installed Windows 8.1 and everything was OK with the installation. But I encounter the following problem when starting up, the PC starts but the screen is black without displaying the Windows logo. I hold down the start button, turn off the PC and once I press it again the PC starts normally.

Any suggestion? Thank you in advance

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 18th, 2018 07:00

As a first step, reset the CMOS (BIOS) memory by removing the CR2032 coin cell battery (with the PC powered off) for AT LEAST 10 MINUTES. 

Page 42 in the manual details how to replace the battery.  Considering the age of this model, instead of just removing the battery for 10 minutes, replace the battery as the lifespan is typically 5 years.

Here is the link to the Dell manual.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-27-2720-aio_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 18th, 2018 10:00

What process did you use to replace the hard drive? Where did the software come from and how was it put on the drive?

October 18th, 2018 21:00

I open the back side and replace the HDD. 
About installation, i just download the 8.1 pro ISO from Microsoft and install it with a USB drive.

Thank you for your answer! I will try it

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Disable one of the video cards.

Early black screen means Windows is confused about what video card to use.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2018 06:00

The 2720 has a small SSD used to accelerate the HDD. Since that is a RAID configuration, did you unwind that configuration prior to replacing the HDD? You might try setting the Bios to use SATA as AHCI instead of RAID. Possibly this would allow you to reconfigure that situation, but only do so if you cannot get to the Desktop.. You also may be able to turn off the RAID configuration during boot. I think it used to require a CTRL+A key combination to get the utility, but you may see such a message during boot. If you ever get to the desktop you could check the Intel Rapid Storage utility to reconfigure the RAID configuration.
No Events found!