Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

2 Posts

May 11th, 2020 09:00

XPS 420, multi-OS boot, raid

xps 420, I would like to have the option of booting to two different o/s drives at my choosing , one with xp sometimes and one with win 7 other times , do I have to set it up when I wish to boot to the individual drives or can I set it up once and have the option ,each o/s drive is loaded with an o/s and has been used separately in this system .  

2 Posts

May 11th, 2020 12:00

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2020 12:00

Onboard Raid is not a boot manager so no this is not an option.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

May 11th, 2020 13:00

You didn't say why you want to do this, but you should be asking about dual boot options for Win XP and Win 7, not about RAID options. Here's just one link about dual booting XP and Win 7, and there are many other sites with info about dual booting XP and Win 7 too, so Google for them.

Keep in mind that neither XP nor Win 7 is being supported by Microsoft now, so there are no new security updates or bug fixes being offered for either of them. 

Don't know if this PC can run Win10, so search these forums for threads about updating the XPS 420 to Win 10. You will have to purchase a license from Microsoft to run Win 10 on this PC, unless you have a valid Product Key for Win 7, and assuming the update to Win 10 is still free. (There was never a free upgrade to Win 10 from either XP or Vista.)

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

May 13th, 2020 12:00

Re: do I have to set it up when I wish to boot to the individual drives or can I set it up once and have the option ,each o/s drive is loaded with an o/s and has been used separately in this system .  

I have done this a few times. very simple. Just clean install os in each hdd while the other hdd is disconnected from pc. when both hdd are loaded w fresh os, install both, on boot, pc prompts me which os I want to boot from.  This was done on an old Dell Inspiron 530 MT that has room for 2x hdd.

No Events found!