Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2019 10:00

XPS 720, No sound

There is no sound on the rear panel of an XPS 720, in addition the speaker icon in right hand corner is marked by a red cross.  Selecting it, windows goes through the motions of trying to fix it but it doesn't

Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers = shows  7 instances of NVIDIA High Definition Audio.  I believe these get installed when graphics card driver is installed - these being two GTX 460 in SLI mode.

I have disabled all of them thinking that the native driver would take over but it made no difference.

The change I made was to fit a cloned SSD of a Win 10 OS from another Dell XPS 720 which has a creative sound card installed.

Any ideas how to proceed, other than reinstalling Win10 again.

175 Posts

June 20th, 2019 14:00

Resolved it in case anyone is interested.

Firstly the link to Dell drivers page only seems to be for the Creative sound card, which isn't fitted so no use.

I searched for "High definition audio device driver" which led me to Realtek driver, downloaded, installed, nothing, uninstalled. :Crying:

Next search was "Dell XPS 720 high definition audio driver" that took me to: https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/dell/laptops-desktops/dell-xps720/3275

There are 2 listed, second one by Sigmatel is the one installed for working audio.

Happy as I did not need to do Win10 install (again).:Yes:

…. well that's embarrassing, I see the post above refers to the Sigmatel driver :Embarrassed:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 18th, 2019 12:00

What external speakers do you have attached? Check the connections. There is no internal speaker except for system beeps. Attach some speakers to get sound for music and video. 

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

June 18th, 2019 12:00

the driver is  on your support page, 720 , look there first, get it? first, load it  2nd?  oops, its XP old. only.!!!!!

what jack the green one,, and what did you plug in to the 3.5MM round jack whole Green?

the correct answer is.

1: powered amplified external speakers.

2: ear buds

3: or real 3.5mm jacked head phones, and remove first all USB sound devices, ok , or they can have  little war.

I think only TRS jack work and not TRRS plugs unless with adaptors. (I say that only based on age , dell books on this PC)

dell only has xp drivers so,  why upgrade to 10-32bit. 

first find driver, for it but that company (both chips uses) are defunct

so buy  uSB to sound dongle new.  end the pain of zero chip support sound

and cloning HDD like that is asking for trouble.

all there is , is here  (

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-720/drivers

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 19th, 2019 05:00

You have to install the OEM audio driver.

DescriptionDownload
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, v.RC2.0 , Web A02
Latest Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi web post driver ( 31 March 2008) More details
SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.6.10.0.5407, A03
Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio DriverMore details

175 Posts

June 19th, 2019 13:00

Thanks for the replies - I posted about 3 hours ago but where has it gone?

I'm back on the old disc (actually 2 configured as RAID 0) and there is sound.

Device manager -> Sound is showing two drivers: 'High Definition Audio Device' and 'NVIDIA High Definition Audio'.

Selecting each of them and getting driver details, it lists 7 files for each.  At this point I'm out of my depth - if I copy those files, can I then get Win 10 to install them?  If so, how?  My gut feeling it is not going to work or be easy.

Anyways, bye for now - I will take a look at the above link for drivers - been busy benchmarking ROTR on different GFX cards.

No Events found!