Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2020 12:00

XPS 8300, Error occurred(0)

20201106_201637.jpg

20201106_201515.jpg

20201106_201619.jpg

  I've got a dell xps 8300 and tried running it for the first time in about 3 years. Worked fine for 3 hours then I got a blue screen followed by this. I managed to log on once and everything was how it should be but it was running slowly and freezing so I restarted and got this. It did let me through so I could access the command prompt and system reset settings but it now only comes up with the 3rd screenshot. 

Any help would be appreciated but I'm not too knowledgeable on computers so maybe keep it as simple as possible. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2020 18:00

Raid 0 is not ever going to boot again with a dead drive.

RAID 0 breaks the data into segments called striped units. Then it spreads that data across all of the drives in your array. Lose any drive and you are toast.

RAID 0 (Stripe) is the absolute worst way to save data.

RAID 0 array and when one drive has a problem the whole array dies forever regardless of how many drives you used.

Thats why RAID1 or RAID5 is the way to go.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 6th, 2020 14:00

Looks like the hard drive has died. You can run the pre-boot diagnostics to check -- this is for Windows 10--tap F12 immediately as soon as you start without waiting for any screen until you get to the boot menu. Another thing you need to do is replace the coin cell battery that will have failed after 3 years of never turning on the computer. That's a $2 expense for the CR-2032 battery so it's well worth it. Here's the manual that tells you how to do it as well as replacing the hard drive if the diagnostics tell you the hard drive has failed.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 6th, 2020 17:00

OMG...the image says it's RAID0 (striped) array...

If either hard drive in a RAID0 array dies, you lose everything on both drives because neither has a complete copy of any file.

So definitely invest in a new battery and hope all that's happened is BIOS setup reverted the SATA Mode setting from RAID to AHCI (the default) when/if the battery died.

After replacing the battery, reboot and start tapping F2 to open BIOS setup. Change SATA Mode to RAID, but don't change anything else. Be sure to save the SATA Mode change, exit setup, and hope PC boots now...with fingers

1 Message

November 7th, 2020 02:00

I had the exact same issue. What I did was create a bootable windows usb and start it from there. It takes ages, but I was able to recover all my critical data from the raid hard drives to an external hard drive!

1 Message

January 7th, 2021 12:00

Hi Jonas - I have the same issue.  What steps did you take to move your data off after creating the bootable Windows USB?  Were you able to boot into safe mode?

No Events found!