Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2020 20:00

XPS 8300, GTX 1650 not working

Hi,

I recently purchased a gtx 1650 by Zotac Gaming to put in my dell xps 8300. I put the card in and, but when I turned the system on it would just stay in the dell boot screen. The motherboard would beep once, wait a little, while then beep again, until I manually turned the system off. I originally had a gtx 530 in the system so I decided to reinstall the original card, and Windows booted. The Bios is up to date and I can't seem to locate the problem

Here are the rest of the specs as far as I know:

Intel core I-7 2600

8 gb ram

Geforce gtx 530 

460 watt psu

1 tb hard drive

256 gb ssd

Windows 10

The unit might be faulty, be I can't be certain. Any solution(s) would be greatly appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

June 11th, 2020 10:00

Sounds like a conflict between that specific card manufacturer/model number and the XPS 8300 since the GTX 16xx series has been shown to work in the Dell XPS 8300.  What specific Zotac GTX 1650 model number do you have (they have several)?

Manufacturers that have been shown to have GeForce GTX 16xx cards working with the Dell XPS 8300 are PNY, MSI and Gigabyte, at least on userbenchmark.com.  (EVGA might be worth a try as well.)  Here's someone on userbenchmark.com running a PNY GTX 1650 in a Dell XPS 8300.

I'd try a different manufacturer.  If you find a model that works for you would be good to know.

June 11th, 2020 11:00

I got the compact gddr5 model. Specifically the ZT - T16520F - 10L

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 11th, 2020 11:00

One Beep = Possible system board failure -  BIOS ROM checksum failure

Did you try clearing BIOS after you swapped the video card, to make sure BIOS saw the hardware change?

With old video card installed:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Install new video card
  8. Reinstall battery (Time for fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  9. Close up and plug in mouse, keyboard, and connect monitor to the new video card
  10. Reboot...

June 11th, 2020 12:00

I will try that but I also saw that a reason the card may not be working is because it is a UEFI cards, but the system only supports legacy BIOS.

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

June 11th, 2020 22:00

Good idea resetting the BIOS.  

What BIOS version is your 8300 on?  Last version I can see (A06) has something about it updating the VBIOS.

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

June 12th, 2020 07:00

The description of the A06 BIOS update mentions it contains a VBIOS update.  So, you've already got it.

The link I posted above shows one user running a GTX 1650 in a Dell XPS 8300 from userbenchmark.com.

For a step-by-step on how to search userbenchmark.com to look for anyone running a component in a machine, see the bottom of this post.  Look for "To see if someone's running a specific graphics card (or CPU/SSD/HD, etc.) in your system...".

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Legacy class 0 bios sytems need cards that support msdos VESA mode 103.

See if there is a PCI SERR MSG setting in bios. turn that to off.

this option is in the maintenance section.

1.  The PCI SERR Message is turned on.  This must be set to OFF.

2.  You cannot use the onboard video AND a PCI-E video card.  Once a card is in the X16 slot you MUST use that card only.

un supportedun supported

It is at A06 currently. On the dell BIOS update page the most recent is A06. How would I update the VBIOS? Also where did you find examples of other 1650's working in other XPS 8300's?

1 Message

June 22nd, 2020 20:00

Hi,

I read many threads concerning this particular issue. I too do have a XPS 8300 intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40 ghz with 12gb ram and working with latest OS Windows 10 x64 with updates. When bought, it had an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series and about a year ago switched to Nvidia GTX 560 ti which was a replacement. It worked fine but now it is done so I bought a Zotac gaming GeForce gtx 1650 super. It fits perfectly and is being detected but will not pass the dell splash screen upon booting. From all the test I've done and posts read, it seems related to the fact that the XPS 8300 runs on old BIOS while cards are now requiring the UEFI option. Unfortunately, I've searched the whole BIOS and can't find a way to switch from one to the other. The boot list option does not appear. 

Different websites suggest to switch from BIOS to UEFI through windows but I wonder if this will make the complete move without further issues between the Dell original set up and the upgraded Windows OS. Any idea on this? If I could be sure this would officially convert the whole system, it could most likely be the way to solve the issue where the system does not take over this new gpu.

Thanks much in advance for your thoughts.

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

June 25th, 2020 17:00

The XPS 8300 has a Legacy BIOS, it doesn't have UEFI.

But, a graphic card can support both.  Whether a specific card does is up to the manufacturer and can even be model specific.

Additionally, even if the card supports Legacy BIOS, there could be compatibility issues between your PC model and the card model. A graphic card manufacturer can't reasonably test every one of their cards in every PC ever made.

Try a different manufacturer of the same card, as I've suggested above.

1 Message

July 24th, 2020 01:00

I have a msi 1650 super and it does the same thing help me please I don’t wanna waste this 200 bucks

1 Message

July 24th, 2020 21:00

Having exact same issue MSI 1650 got here today. Won’t work. Pretty disappointed and I’ve been trying to get it to work all night long. I don’t know what to do anymore. 

1 Message

July 26th, 2020 17:00

I just bought a PNY GTX 1650 Super and had similar issues but I was able to get it working, sort of. I started off with the card that comes with the XPS 8300 installed (mine was the AMD Radeon HD 6450). On start up enter the bios set up and go to Graphics Configuration and change the Intel Multiple Monitor Feature to AUTO. Shut off the computer and replace the graphics card with the new card (GTX 1650 Super). On the next start up I hooked up a monitor to the onboard VGA port. I did not hook up anything to the GTX 1650 Super card. Once started I installed the driver for the GTX 1650 Super through GeForce Experience and restarted again to complete the driver installation. After another restart I hooked up the monitor to the GTX 1650 Super with a HDMI cord and the second screen became active. Now this method was described on a Lenovo message board and I used a very similar method to install a Gigabyte GTX 1650 low profile in a Lenovo M81 SFF computer. The difference is with the Lenovo M81 I was able to unplug the onboard graphics once I had the driver for the 1650 Low Profile card installed and continue to start my computer using just the 1650 Low Profile plugged in. With the GTX 1650 Super and the XPS 8300 when I try to unplug the onboard graphics I get stuck in the Dell startup splash page again. So to have it remain working I have a HDMI cord from the GTX 1650 Super plugged into one monitor and the onboard VGA plugged into another monitor.  I'm not sure how to get around this. I guess you have to have the onboard graphics plugged into a monitor to get past the Dell start screen. The GTX 1650 Super does seem to be working as I'm getting good performance that I know the onboard graphics wouldn't be able to produce. If anyone tries this and gets it working without having to have another monitor plugged into the onboard graphics please post how.

1 Message

September 19th, 2020 20:00

I have an XPS 8300 and a GeForce GTX 1650 Super that I just got working before writing this. I used the GeForce Experience and the Nvidia website to download all my drivers and updates

Step 1: Download all relevant drivers for new GPU

Step 2: Reboot into your BIOS and make sure your integrated graphics option is set to AUTO. Save and reboot

Step 3: Power everything off, unplug the power cable and hold the power button until all LED's are gone. Unplug everything and remove old GPU.

Step 4: Install new GPU, and hook up the VGA cable from your computer to your monitor.

Step 5: Using integrated graphics (If a black screen pops up saying something about graphics and rebooting, you haven't set your BIOS correctly. Repeat step 2 and come back. This can be done with the new GPU installed, so no worries) load in to your computer and it should automatically download any and all updates and drivers for the new GPU. If not, go download them.

Step 6: Once all installations are complete, reboot your system. You should now be free to use the new GPU  instead of the integrated graphics. Feel free to go back in to BIOS and disable your integrated graphics option, but you shouldn't have to as long as your monitor is on the same input setting as your GPU.

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

November 19th, 2020 16:00

What card manufacturer was it as seems that is a factor; and is still working, without the igpu plugged in at all. Anyone else have success doing this?

No Events found!