Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SS

August 13th, 2018 18:00

XPS 8300, power issue

I had a temporary loss of power at my house and now my XPS won’t power up.  This happened to me about six months ago and I don’t think I really did anything to fix it but it seemed to resolve itself. Basically nothing happens when I hit the power button. If I hold the power button down, there is a solid green light on the back of the tower which comes on. If I push the power button briefly, the light on the back goes off but no matter what I do it won’t power up. I left it alone briefly for a few minutes and heard a beeping noise. I went back in and the power button was amber and flashing and beeping four times. I unplugged  the power cord, waited a while and plugged it back in. The beeping stopped but now I have the same issues with it not wanting to power up and the green light on the back going off and on depending on how long I hold the power button down.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 13th, 2018 19:00

Sounds like the power-surge blew-something inside XPS-8300 (likely either the Power-Supply or Motherboard). You might want to have someone qualified take a quick look at it (unless you are ready to buy a new one anyway).

Whether you fix this one or buy a new one, I suggest you get a good UPS (like an APC with LCD and AVR). I bet it will save your nice computer next time.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 15th, 2018 08:00

Flashing power button LED plus 4 beep = memory failure

* Disconnect the power cable from the rear of the XPS 8300
* Lay the tower down on its leftside
* Remove the cover (page 17)
* How many memory sticks do you see in there?

No Events found!