Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

3 Posts

July 1st, 2019 06:00

XPS 8300, blank screen

The monitor of my XPS8300 has suddenly gone blank.

I have checked the monitor with another computer and it works ok. The video card is an ATI Radeon card and has DVI and HDMI ports. I have tried connecting the monitor with both and get the blank screen. when I switch the input to the monitor from DVI to HDMI and back, I get the message "there is no signal coming from your computer. Press any key onn the keyboard or mouseto wake it up. To change to another input source press monitor button". Then the monitor goes into power save mode.

Have tried rebooting the computer. Power light is on. when I press the 'Caps lock' the LED light comes on and if I press again the light goes off. It appears that the computer boots up ok but there is no video display. I have tried pressing F12 after pressing the power button, no change.

The operationg system is W10 version 1803 and build 17134.829

Any thoughts / help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2019 06:00

First suggestion, reseat the Video Card.   Reseat - with the PC powered off, open the case and remove the video card then reinstall making sure its fully and correctly seated.  Connect the monitor and power on and see if you get video.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 1st, 2019 11:00

The XPS 8300 has 2 onboard video ports, HDMI (#2) and VGA (4), in addition to your add-in video card.

XPS 8300.jpg

Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Physically remove the add-in card from the PC. Close up and connect the monitor to either of the 2 onboard video ports. Connect mouse and keyboard and reboot...

NOTE: The onboard video ports are disabled while the add-in video card is installed, so you have to remove that card to try the onboard video ports.

If it works with an onboard video port, the video card may have failed. If it still doesn't work, the fault is elsewhere and that requires some more troubleshooting...

3 Posts

July 1st, 2019 11:00

Hello Firebird,

thanks for your suggestion. I have tried that and no change.

Regards

3 Posts

July 9th, 2019 01:00

Thank you. My machine does not have a VGA port. Only the DVI and HDMI ports. I am not tech savvy. It was not possible for me to test the graphics card. Therefore enlisted the help of a computer technician. After testing, he has advised me that the card is faulty. Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2019 05:00

R series cards require UEFI bios that you do not have.

Not EVER going to work.

If this is older RADEON HD series card disconnect data cable from hard drive and turn on.  It should complain about nothing to boot from.

No Events found!