Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2018 21:00

XPS 8300, trouble starting windows

Takes repeated trys to start windows upon turn on.doesn`t want to stay asleep on preset sleep mode, black screens on attempts to start windows when it does start a mouse pointer will appear in middle of screen then most usually it will start.The short cuts move around and screen resolution changes to an odd resolution without provision to click back to 1080 but on rare occasion it goes back to 1080 . But all pics and vids look normal. All self diagnostic and online tests say normal can someone lead me in the right direction

21 Posts

June 4th, 2018 17:00

Thanks forgot about that little item will give it a go

21 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 16:00

yes f-12 full test and all online full test , no updates that were not automatic. some online separate tests were not done due to having to restart pc witch could a problem

21 Posts

ps scanned with malware bytes not to long ago

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Version of Windows?

Did your testing include testing the hard drive and RAM? Reboot and immediately  press F12. Look for option to run diagnostics and run all of them.

Installed any recent updates, eg for BIOS, drivers, other software?

Scanned thoroughly  for malware recently?

21 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 17:00

I`ve also tried booting from install disc with same results

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2018 17:00

When was last time you replaced motherboard battery? CR2032 3-volt coin cell, ~$2.00.

Check Service Manual for instructions to replace that battery..

21 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 19:00

finaly had time to change the batt. due to the procedure the manual says I need to do but all I had to do to be up and running was change the batt. and plug back in no bios adjustment  or anything. But I obviously have another issue that the tests are not showing, my pc is telling me that I have a generic crt monitor even though I have a fairly new 1080 screen. therefore it leaves my windows stuff a little odd but pics and vids look good.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 18:00

Glad the battery solved the main problem, but you should have had to reset the correct date and time in BIOS.

You may want to reinstall the driver that came with your monitor, and possibly the video card driver too.

No Events found!