Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

March 22nd, 2018 10:00

XPS 8500 Win 10 power settings ignored

I have a XPS 8500 running Windows 10 Pro, the hard disk failed so I replaced it with a Samsung SSD EVO.

All is working OK now but whatever power settings I use the computer will never go to sleep, nor will the monitor ever shut off after idle. I suspect some hardware is making Windows think it is never idle. I checked network devices and turned off all wake-on-lan, etc.

I can still manually make it sleep using the Windows taskbar/menu choices.

Any suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Yes, as @RoHe says . At least, make sure your Device-Manager is "clean" and free of errors.

But TTYTT, you are chasing ghosts here. Running Windows-10 on these old XPS machines (that may/may-not be validated to run it) ... usually works pretty good. I usually turn-off all S3-S5 Sleeping. I turn it on, SSD boots fast, I use computer, and I then shut-down when finished.

The monitor not sleeping is troubling. That points to a video card problem or core ACPI problems (again, as RoHe says).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you install the latest versions of the drivers for your specific hardware after you installed Windows on the SSD, eg Intel chipset and Intel HECI drivers, both Intel integrated video and add-in video card drivers, etc?

No Events found!