Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

January 6th, 2019 16:00

XPS 8500, Windows 10, GTX 1050 Ti, not working

First of all, I am a loyal Dell user of over 20 years both at home and for business. I have previously recommended Dell for their products and support. Having said that, I cannot recommend anyone other than an advanced user consider buying and installing a new video card with the XPS series.

I have wasted over 12 hours in forums and at my local computer shop attempting to resolve what appears to be a problem of Dell's making. I am an intermediate user and have swapped video cards, memory, etc. with minimal difficulty.

Dell specifically advised me that GeForce GTX 1050 Ti would be compatible with my XPS 8500 after reviewing my configuration. I am using Windows 10 Home with the latest updates and current BIOS. After repeated attempts to install the card, I am giving up. The problem does not appear to be the card, it is the fact that my system simply will not recognize the card's drivers as compatible with Dell's system. Careful reviewing of the forums reveals a nightmarish scenario for multiple users who cannot resolve this issue.

I STRONGLY advise Dell users thinking of upgrading their XPS system's video cards to think twice. Maybe wait until you can justify a new computer, consider another product line or—and I really hesitate to say this—consider another company. It isn't a tech literacy issue either, I took my system to a local computer shop and their advice was that I had done everything they would do with the exception of doing a Windows reset (e.g. blowing away all my data).

I hope that my warning will help others avoid wasting their time and patience with this issue.

4 Posts

August 31st, 2019 07:00

Comment if you could solve it. Who is the manufacturer of the graphics card you bought? Your computer starts in legacy Bios or in UEFI. You currently have the version of Bios A14. I want to buy a graphic card for my XPS 8500 too, it would help me to answer these questions to know what to do.

4 Posts

August 31st, 2019 14:00

I recently updated my nvidia GT 620 oem with a nvidia geforce GT 730 EVGA on my XPS 8500.  Updated the drivers and all went smooth, no problems.

No Events found!