Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8500, "RTC is reset; BIOS setup default has been loaded"

Hello all

Re Dell XPS 8500 desktop, purchased in 2012, original specs here, upgraded several years ago to 24GB RAM, Samsung EVO 256GB SSD (OS), + WD red 2TB HDD. The OS is currently Win10 v.1903

For the last couple of days, my XPS 8500 has booted to black screen with error "RTC is reset; BIOS setup default has been loaded. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."   Pressing the F1 key will allow it to boot, but the error recurs the following morning on reboot.  Yesterday morning, I pressed F2 and updated the time and date in the BIOS (which was correct anyway), after which, the PC booted correctly. I did a restart to test the booting, and it booted straight into Windows with no problems.   On rebooting this morning, it again came up with the "RTS is reset...." error.

I have only been able to find instructions on how to correct the RTC error for portable systems, and they don't work for my desktop.  

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this problem, please?

Kind regards

Sue

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 5th, 2020 19:00

replace w brand new cmos battery ($2) will likely solve your issue.  every time you hit F2 to bypass bios error and update time/date and save the change, it won't be able to remember that change because battery is gone, so next time it repeats the complaint.

RTC stands for Real-Time Clock.  when battery is gone, cmos resets clock to default.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2020 17:00

Yes!  I did a bit of web searching and went through the steps one at a time. (Resetting the BIOS jumper on the MB was fun - had to take the graphics card out to get to it!)  It suddenly hit me that it could well be the battery, as it had been in the PC for 8 years, and the machine had been in storage for several months while we were looking for a new house.  The battery looked slightly fatter that it should, so was definitely deceased. 

I popped a new one in, reset the time and date in the BIOS, and bob's yer uncle, the PC boots quite happily again now.

Many thanks for your response!  If I hadn't twigged to it already, it would have been a life saver!

Cheers

Sue

No Events found!