Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

February 20th, 2019 02:00

XPS 8700, CPU Upgrade Options

Hello, I have an XPS 8700 that I purchase about 2 years ago and I was wondering what my options were for upgrading the cpu. I'm doing more video editing these days with Premiere Pro and the rendering of files is pushing my i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz to the max. I added an SSD and extra RAM putting me at 24GB. Is there anything of value that would make sense in upgrading the CPU?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 20th, 2019 05:00

It is not likely that it would make sense to upgrade the CPU even if it was possible. You are limited by the chipset and the BIOS. Your CPU is a 4th generation processor and even if you could put in a 5th generation processor the improvement from one generation to the next is not that great all else being equal. If your video editing software can that advantage of it, I have read that the graphics card is an important factor. You may want to look into that.

2 Posts

February 20th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the reply. I currently am running a GeForce 720 graphics card.  I just bought a gtx 1060 to see what that does.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 20th, 2019 10:00

You should probably look here at the system requirements for your version of Premiere Pro: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 20th, 2019 11:00

You must have purchased a used computer if you bought it 2 yrs ago. That model will be 6 yrs old this year. That is why it is not cost effective to upgrade the cpu. Any other inexpensive upgrade would be OK. Best advice is to use it as is until you can replace it with a new computer.

No Events found!