Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2020 17:00

XPS 8700, GeForce GTX 1650, driver issue

I have a dell xps 8700 i7 4790 16gb ram. I upgraded the gpu from the oem gtx 745 to a GeForce gtx 1650 oc 4gb because every time I tried to update the 745 driver my computer would crash. Now the 1650 shows up as a standard vga adapter. If I install the driver for the 1650 and restart the computer still crashes. I read hundreds of posts and tried everything but nothing works. If I reinstall the 745 everything works but I still can’t update the driver without crashing. I want to be able to play RDR2 on my pc. I know that lots of people have upgraded their gpu’s and everything went fine for them but I’m having a lot of problems. Basically I can’t update the 745 driver or install the 1650 driver without crashing my computer 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2020 11:00

@SprJr   - What version of Windows?

What size PSU is recommended for that card and what size PSU is in this PC? Does the card require an extra power connection directly to the PSU?

If this is a retail video card, you may need to clear BIOS and then disable Secure Boot for this card to work.

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Install  GTX 1650, if not installed already
  8. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  9. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  10. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup again
  11. Disable Secure Boot, but do not change anything else in BIOS. Save the change and exit setup.
  12. Install the video card driver

BTW: You may need to be logged into an account with full Administrator privileges to install the video driver for this card.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2020 17:00

Well I don’t exactly know what I did but I finally got it working. The only thing I did different than the other 9k attempts was I finally upgraded from win 7 sp1  to win 10(through the windows free upgrade that isn’t supposed to work anymore). After upgrading the OS I was able to update the 745 oem driver. After that was all working correctly I swapped out the gpu’s...did a little keyboard finagling and voila!..everything works beautifully I would like to thank everyone for all your suggestions. I had almost given up. My pc has new life now. I had already upgraded to an ssd(that also took forever). I also put a new battery in.  I’m going to upgrade the ram to 32gb next and then see what other upgrades I can do to it. THANK YOU!!!

128 Posts

January 11th, 2020 04:00

I don't know why the 1650 driver is giving you trouble.  I did put in a 1060 6GB card into my XPS 8700 before I upgraded PSU.  It was replacing the original GTX 660.  It worked fine, no problems.

Did you get the 1650 driver from nvidia?

You could consider uninstalling the 1650 driver you added and then click on update driver for the display card.  It would get a generic driver from Microsoft that might work.

David

4 Posts

January 17th, 2020 10:00

I did get the 1650 driver from nvidia. I also got a generic driver from Microsoft but it’s a standard vga driver. I also spoke to dell reps but since my warranty is expired they won’t help. Nothing works. I don’t understand why I can’t just upgrade the 745 driver or install a new gpu without crashing the computer 

4 Posts

January 17th, 2020 12:00

I was running win 7 sp1. I just upgraded to win 10. My psu is 480w. The 1650 requires 300w...no extra power cables needed. After upgrading to win 10 the oem 745 wouldn’t work at all. After messing for hours with a few things (don’t know what really) I FINALLY was able to update the driver for the oem 745, restarted, and everything seems to be ok. I am going to once again attempt to swap the gpu in a bit. Hopefully everything goes well. Fingers crossed 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2020 16:00

Glad you got it working with the old card again. Maybe the card wasn't properly seated in the slot until now, and/or maybe you cleared BIOS during your adventures...?

Post back and let us know when you get the GTX 1650 to work...

No Events found!