Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MR

April 25th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8700, Intel RST, using SSD without RAID?

I hope this is a simple question. I have an XPS8700.  It previously had a RAID 0 boot configuration with a 28gb sdd and 1tb hdd. After getting a number of false warnings about impending drive failure from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology console, I decided to switch to a 1tb sdd. I changed my BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and did a fresh install of Windows 10.  Everything works fine.

I ran Dell's driver update utility on the website and again in Support Assistant. Both suggest that I again install Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  

I don't want another RAID and I only am using an ssd.  Despite hours searching the Internet, I can't get an answer to this specific question:  what can IRST do for me if I don't need RAID support and only have a single ssd?  I can see that it's essential for a RAID and that it might be useful with a mechanical drive, but what does it do for an ssd-based, non-RAID system?

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2018 11:00

@Mike Rubinwrote:

I hope this is a simple question. I have an XPS8700.

1. It previously had a RAID 0 boot configuration with a 28gb sdd and 1tb hdd. After getting a number of false warnings about impending drive failure from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology console,

2. I decided to switch to a 1tb sdd. I changed my BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and did a fresh install of Windows 10.  Everything works fine.

3. I ran Dell's driver update utility on the website and again in Support Assistant. Both suggest that I again install Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  

I don't want another RAID and I only am using an ssd.  Despite hours searching the Internet, I can't get an answer to this specific question:  what can IRST do for me if I don't need RAID support and only have a single ssd?  I can see that it's essential for a RAID and that it might be useful with a mechanical drive, but what does it do for an ssd-based, non-RAID system?

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

1. Yeah, that config is pretty lame.

2. Excellent. Good work. Perfect.

3. Right. I highly suggest you DO NOT install Intel-RST ... just use the Microsoft drivers. Nice and lean and works great.

No Events found!