Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 09:00

XPS 8700, No Boot, Safe Mode, Hardware swap

4 year old machine crashed during gaming episode.  Critical_Process_Died BSOD.  Cannot boot and cannot access Safe Mode, tried all the trouble shooting guides.  ePSA tests all hardware good.  Staring to swap harware starting with refurbished Dell 460 Watt PSU.  Next step will  be replacing the hard drive that shipped with the machine.  It has a Seagate HDD Model - ST2000DM001.  Is there a compatible predecessor to this drive so I can consider upgrading when I swap drive or do I need to stay with exact piece of hardware?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 8th, 2020 16:00

Click the 3 vertical dots on right end of the line with your user name in that post and select Edit Reply from the menu.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 10th, 2020 11:00

Long thread...short memory...

Have you tried booting from a bootable USB stick with the Windows ISO file on it and see if you can do a repair?

The ISO (free download) and instructions to create the bootable USB are here for Win 10.

27 Posts

April 11th, 2020 07:00

I figured it out, thanks again to everyone

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 8th, 2020 10:00

My guess is that the hard drive has failed given that it is the original hard drive in a 4 year old computer. Being able to run the ePSA tests should indicate that the power supply is OK. Not sure why you decided to swap it. I would focus on isolating the problem instead of starting to swap other hardware that may introduce new problems. I would download and run USB bootable Seagate SeaTools to perform a diagnostic test of the hard drive. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 8th, 2020 11:00

And consider an SSD instead of a new HDD...

27 Posts

April 8th, 2020 12:00

So what I failed to elaborate on under the initial post is that I already had downloaded the Seagate Drive troubleshooter to USB. This is one of the additional problems I was having, I cannot get the operating system to Boot to USB through the troubleshooter diagnostics. I have had past experience with a power supply being the problem when a desk top failed to boot up so for $25 I thought it the first place to start, since the ePSA hardware tests lists all components, except for the power supply. Additionally I failed to mention the Model # of the hard drive. It's a Seagate HDD ST2000DM001 6Gbps 64 MB Cache 2TB 7200 RPM 3.5". What I was really looking to get an opinion/feel on is whether their Baracuda Line (Seagate FireCuda 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Desktop (ST2000DX002) is a newer product line that equates to a direct replacement?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2020 12:00

The hybrid drives are unstable junk.

Direct replacements are not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B075WWN4QJ/ref=dp_olp_afts?ie=UTF8&condition=all

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

Instead of a hybrid HDD I would purchase a 500GB SSD and a 2TB HDD.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

@HDD1  - Please remove your Service Tag from your last post. You should always keep that number private.

To respond to the email, log in and click the Envelop icon in upper right corner of the screen near your avatar. You probably will find a Private Message (PM) in your inbox from DellCares. Respond to the questions there.

27 Posts

256GB SSD  So this machine came with (2) hard drives. One being the previous I listed and one being what I just posted. I see you recommended a 500GB SSD. Are you suggesting that I would have to replace both hard drives to troubleshoot my no boot no safe mode condition and not just the 2T Seagate HDD?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 8th, 2020 17:00

I am sorry I misunderstood the hard drive configuration in your machine. I thought that you only have a 2TB boot Seagate HDD that shipped with your machine. I recommended 500GB instead of 256GB because the price difference is not much.

27 Posts

April 8th, 2020 17:00

So I understand what you are saying but can you please clarify:  Are you saying I would have to replace both hard drives simultaneously to troubleshoot my no boot condition?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 8th, 2020 18:00

You do not have to replace both drives simultaneously. You should replace just the boot drive. If you are reinstalling the OS on a new SSD or new HDD I would disconnect the other non-boot drive during installation.

27 Posts

April 9th, 2020 07:00

Front of existing Seadate 2T HDD 7200 DriveFront of existing Seadate 2T HDD 7200 DriveBack of Same DriveBack of Same Drive

27 Posts

April 9th, 2020 07:00

Those photos are the front and back of the existing Seagate 7200 HDD drive in the machine I am trouble shooting.  The build list says there is a 256 MB SSD drive int he machine also but after watch several videos and doing general internet search I cannot find the SSD drive in the machine.  Is that green external circuit board piggybacked on the  Seagate the SSD drive??  Thanks for any help.

No Events found!