Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

November 24th, 2019 08:00

XPS 8700 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

I've tried installing an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 into a stock XPS 8700 but I've hit a few problems, Due to the stores returns policy I've had to take the card back, When using the latest Nvidia drivers the card threw out error 34 and reverted to Microsoft generic display driver, I could get the card to install using a backdated driver from March 2018 but then had crashes and shutdowns when trying to run games, It's a shame as I did want the card, Is there anything to try if I buy it back, I literally just plugged it in after deleting all old drivers and disabling windows update but without changing any BIOS settings, Should I try the card again or look for an alternative?

2.5K Posts

November 24th, 2019 09:00

error one posting no link to one for sale , exactly your card. or the P/N SKU on card tag. big help.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 (made by Nvida for sure right? not just the 1060 chip makers name)

this card and this card alone needs 125watts and must have the AUX  power jacks plugged into the PSU cable same. does it? if not BINGO.

steps,

• remove the old driver first from DM device manager (no card old stated, did you have one there ever?)
  • if yes, click DM and view hidden and remove them all now,  all video drivers.
  • internet connected, Ethernet is best, wired,  wifi can fail at drop of hat,  (locations matter,)
  • then power off PC, unplug PSU AC power cable..
  • next up, push power 1 to 4 times until all fans stop twitching,,,  bingo,  safe to not blow up new card.
  • find the PSU 12vATX-PCI aux cable and plug it in to the GPU new now.
  • next plug the GPU into blue X16 slot.,  i think blue? means GPU supported.
  • The PC is now ready to test.
  • boot the PC and get the driver from Nvidia com, in said card was made by them, (no URL of card shown so.... 12makers of cards and 10 more or 1060  derivatives, possible)
  • now it works. if and only if the PSU in your PC can do 120 more watts, if not it will FAIL hard.
  • no PSU stated by you, vast exist.in the wild. my guess, 460w, dell real and original. should work.

psu1.JPG

18 Posts

November 24th, 2019 21:00

What is your power supply? does it happen with your previous graphic card? 

4 Posts

November 29th, 2019 10:00

Hi again, The tower originally shipped with an ATI Raedon 5450, All was fine until either a windows update or BIOS upgrade which stopped it working, New drivers led to a blank screen, To get me by I bought an Asus AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series which runs fine using one 6 pin plug, The card I tried and failed with is this one https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sgranvi1060gtx6gba&categoryName=graphics-cards-pci-e&superCatName=computing&title=nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-gddr5

I'd like to try the same type of card again unless anyone can recommend a suitable and proven alternative to suit the standard tower

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2019 10:00

Code 34 is one of the several Device Manager error codes. This error code indicates that a hardware device on your PC is not compatible due to being a FAKE card.

Code 34 “Windows cannot determine the settings for this device.”
Real cards will not have any issues UNLESS the bios is very old on the motherboard.
There were a few updates related to NVIDIA cards.

Bios updates should be done in windows 7 or via the recovery method as you can easily brick the machine.
You also cannot jump from A01 to A14 in one step.

BIOS Recovery via HDD BIOS Auto-Recovery on Boot Result
EnabledEnabledBR2 from HDD/USB and BR3 on Boot
EnabledDisabledBR2 from HDD/USB only

How do I initiate BIOS Recovery on a Dell desktop or all-in-one PC?

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.

4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

• Save the BIOS.exe file to your desktop. Copy to FAT32 USB 2.0 flash drive.

• Rename the XPS_8700_BIOS_A14.EXE file to BIOS_IMG.rcv changing the filename and file extension.

• Creating the USB key:

1. Plug the USB key into the PC.

2. Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer).

3. Right-click on the USB drive and click Format.

4. Change the File system to FAT32.

5. Check the box next to Quick Format.

6. Click Start to being formatting the USB key.

7. Copy the BIOS file to the USB key.

8. Open Command prompt in administrator mode.

• In Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 - Press the Windows key + X on the keyboard to open a power user menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

• In Windows 7 or Windows Vista - Click the Start button and type command prompt in the search box. Right-click cmd in the search results and select Run as administrator.

9. In the command prompt window, type cd x: and press the Enter key, where 'x' is the drive letter of the USB key.

You can find the drive letter of the USB key in File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer)

10. Type dir and press the Enter key on the keyboard. You should see the name of the downloaded BIOS file.

11. Type ren xxxxx.exe BIOS_IMG.rcv and press the Enter key.

(Replace the xxxxx with the name of the downloaded BIOS file.)

DescriptionVersion
Dell XPS 8700 System BIOS
This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8700 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.More details
A13
This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8700 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.More details
A12
A11
A10
A08
A06
A03
A04
This package provides the BIOS Update on Dell XPS 8700 running the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A01

Secure boot must be OFF and Legacy On for Non Dell cards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrVff6C1das

4 Posts

November 29th, 2019 11:00

Thank you, I'm running latest BIOS, The card that failed was returned, I've just ordered a replacement, Fingers crossed for the next attempt

4 Posts

December 6th, 2019 13:00

Replacement card manufactured by Asus has worked fine straight after installation, Thanks for all help, Problem now solved

No Events found!