Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 28th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8700, black screen, shutdown, and restart loop

In the last few days, our 2.5 year-old XPS 8700 has gone into a continuous loop of black screen on startup, shutting down, and continuing to try to restart. Nothing shows up on the monitor - not even the Dell logo. 

I've tried draining the battery of residual power, reseating the memory, unplugging peripherals. 

Because of the black screen I am leaning towards the video driver being the culprit, but I really have no basis for it. It's an AMD Radeon HD r9 270.  

Anyone have a similar experience or any insight?

Thanks in advance.  

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2018 18:00

Did you recently install a BIOS update on this PC?

Can you test this monitor and cable on a different PC or different monitor and cable on this PC?

You can physically remove the add-in video card and connect the monitor to an onboard video port if yu think the video card died. 

Notes:

1. You have to remove the card, because onboard video ports are disabled while the card is installed.
  2. If you use a different output from the onboard video to the monitor than you used with the add-in video card, make sure the monitor either automatically identifies the port being used, or use the monitor's On Screen Display (OSD) menu to change the settings to the correct type of port.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2018 18:00

Duplicated post - deleted.

March 2nd, 2018 13:00

I have the same PC as you from 2015 and had this same exact problem all day today and was trying a lot of different things to remedy the issue. This issue seems to be triggered when I leave the XPS 8700 running and it goes into hibernation or sleep then never wakes up the monitor afterwards, forcing you to shut down by pressing the power button. Once you did that the loop would begin. What I ended up doing was not really a good fix but maybe it can give some insight to solving the issue. 

What I did was I plugged in two HDMI cables at the same time into the PC, one into the onboard intel graphics HDMI output slot and another into the AMD card's HDMI slot. I also plugged in a DVI-D cable all at the same time. I then turned on the PC and it seems all my connections in at the same time triggered a plain message in white text on the black boot up background. The message said that there was basically a conflict between the onboard intel graphics and the installed AMD GPU, it said to remove the HDMI cable from the onboard graphics slot and to restart the PC. I did that and then everything was working perfectly.

To be clear this is after I tried many different solutions including uninstalling the graphics card via device manager, using system restore and removing and reinstalling drivers. I was able to do this during the loop by switching the HDMI cable to the different slots on the back of the PC while it was on but only after pulling out the power cord at the back of the PC. I was basically trying to fix the issue all day and sometimes after doing this the desktop would come up but if I restarted or turned the machine off it would go right back into the loop until luckily I could get it up again.

So to be clear the problem was only fixed when I made that message appear by connecting both HDMI connections from my PC to my monitor at the same time. It seems this problems stems from a conflict between the intel graphics and the AMD card. That's what I would guess, I also used a different HDMI cable once I ran that experiment so maybe the HDMI cable was faulty that I was using at first, who knows. I really don't feel like doing a process of elimination.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 16:00

@Sirius0082  - Did you try disabling Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, and PCI Link State Management in advanced options in the currently active Windows Power plan?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 14:00

@Sirius0082 wrote:

@RoHe

Checked it and everything you listed is now disabled except for hybrid sleep. I selected "high performance" for the power plan. The computer is working fine now I've restarted the PC a number of times and the problem seems to be resolved. Will avoid hibernation permanently now! Thanks

Glad that solved the problem. :Yes:  :Yes:

Unfortunately, we haven't heard back from igm86 who started this thread, so we don't know if this is the fix for his/her problem too...

March 3rd, 2018 14:00

@RoHe

Checked it and everything you listed is now disabled except for hybrid sleep. I selected "high performance" for the power plan. The computer is working fine now I've restarted the PC a number of times and the problem seems to be resolved. Will avoid hibernation permanently now! Thanks

1 Message

May 11th, 2021 19:00

Hi there

Did you eventually manage to fix the problem? If so, can you please share what you did to fix it? 

I have a 5 year old XPS8700 which was working fine until a couple days ago when it suddenly shut down by itself. Since then I can only start it up if I disconnect the Radeon graphics card. With the card connected, it has the same symptoms as yours had. Black screen and restart loop.

I have disabled Hibernation, PCIe Link State Power Management, and Hybrid Sleep, with no effect.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 11th, 2021 20:00

Re:  I can only start it up if I disconnect the Radeon graphics card. With the card connected, it has the same symptoms as yours had. Black screen and restart loop.

it sounds like bios has some corruption and it does not work with AMD card.  try reset cmos jumper to clear cmos settings and replace cmos battery with a new one that costs $1-2.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2021 21:00

@mas2001  - Or has your add-in video card died?

No Events found!