Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2020 13:00

XPS 8700, not recognizing bluetooth headset

I have an 8700, about 4 years old, Win 10, all updates installed.

Although non-audio bluetooth devices install and work correctly (mouse/keyboard), when I attempt to connect any audio device (4 different sets of headphones so far) it either says it is paired but won't connect, or else it says it is connected but is not listed as a sound device so I can't use it.

I've tried everything i can think of - uninstalled bluetooth drivers, sound drivers, etc., but I can't figure out what's wrong.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

74 Posts

May 15th, 2020 14:00

One final update in case anyone else stumbles across this. I had forgotten that some months ago I started getting an error from iTunes that my computer had an incompatible bluetooth device, so I'd deleted something (BTTray.exe, I believe). I reinstalled the bluetooth drivers from Dell, and that looked to have solved the problem, but it also installed the Widcomm software that made it look like I was still running Windows 8.  I went into the settings and found that in the Apps there was a listing for Widcomm.  I uninstalled it, and everything works fine, and I'm using the $7 bluetooth dongle in an old laptop that doesn't have bluetooth.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 1st, 2020 15:00

What audio devices are listed?

74 Posts

May 1st, 2020 17:00

"Speakers/Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)

VH226 (High Definition Audio Device)"

74 Posts

May 1st, 2020 17:00

Clipboard02.jpg

Also, when I go to the playback device list, this is what I see, even when one of the bluetooth headsets shows in settings as "connected"

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 1st, 2020 20:00

which WLAN BT half mini card do you have in your 8700?

16 Posts

May 1st, 2020 20:00

I think that is a driver issue from either your headphone or bluetooth.

74 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 05:00

Last night I hooked up a mobile bluetooth keyboard I use on a tablet.  After it paired and connected in bluetooth, Windows immediately told me it was setting up my new device, and a minute later that it was ready to use, just as what happens when I connect a new device via USB.  That doesn't happen with sound devices.

74 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 05:00

Bluetooth device is the Dell 1704

74 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 14:00

Update:  On the hunch that it could be some kind of problem with the 1704 bluetooth adapater, I ordered a $7.00 USB bluetooth adapter.  Put it in, rebooted, disabled the 1704's bluetooth, and everything is working like it should be.  I had tried everything with the drivers that I could think of.  Still annoyed that I couldn't solve the problem but any problem that can be solved for $7.00 isn't worth any more effort.  Bugs me a little to give up a bluetooth port but the 8700 has 10 of them and I have another 4 on one of my monitors.

Thanks to those that responded.

No Events found!