Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 19th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8700, upgrade graphics card?

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 8700 with an AMD Radeon R9 270. I am planning on starting with some deep learning exercises for which I have arranged for an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti. I'm pretty certain that the built in PSU is not capable of supplying the power that this new card needs and was wondering if there were any compatible PSU units (650W +) for this desktop. 

Also, aside from the PSU (and the card) is there anything else I may have missed in terms of upgrading the hardware? Thank you for all the help!

Romit

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2018 14:00

I've installed nice Corsair Power-Supplies in some XPS over the years and they work fine. Now-days, I suggest ample watts and modular. For that card, a 800-900w should be fine (yes, over-size it) but obviously it must physically fit.

Lots of old threads like this one.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/XPS-8700-nVidia-GTX-video-card-upgrades/m-p/4536878

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2018 16:00

Unless someone posted that a specific model fits (in your model or a case similar to your model) you will have to measure it yourself and hope for the best.

Some things to take into consideration:

- Wattage (over-size it)
- Proper outputs and plugs
- Modular (so no extra wires to hamper air-flow and pretty-ness)
- Cooling fan in the right place (or acceptable place)
- Physically matching (or acceptable) size and dimensions
- Maybe something I forgot (it's been a while) :Smile:

AFAIK, both Seasonic and Corsair make good power-supplies. But even then, I would stay-away from their budget or low-end models (spend a few dollars more for mid-range). 

2 Posts

Thank you for your reply! That thread was informative. So I've been snooping around and found the following among 850 W PSUs:

1. Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

2. Corsair RMx Series, RM850x, 850W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

I guess what I am trying to ask is that if there is a standard which I can compare the XPS 8700 with when I'm trying to make sure the PSU fits. I apologize if these questions seem foolish!

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

I think the standard/form factor you are looking for is the standard for an ATX power supply. For example, the Seasonic is an Intel ATX 12 V form factor power supply which means it will mount (screw mounting holes will line up) in an ATX case. I am not sure the XPS 8700 is an true ATX case or if the Dell power supply is an ATX power supply. You could also measure the dimensions of the Dell power supply. The Seasonic power supply is 140 mm (W) x 150 mm (L) x 86 mm (H). Of course, you have to allow room for the modular cable connections.

No Events found!